Add-on Snow effect for winter

Thank you, Kier
Odd that my copy/paste didn't get it right. And I don't know enough to find these things myself.

If that's a mistake in my copy/paste, let me know - I'll recopy/paste. Or, if a mod wants to fix it feel free.
Dreamweaver is still saying there is a error in the code on the line I mentioned even after copying/pasting exactly what Kier posted. I also tried it on my windows side in Notepad ++

I can't say there is cause no one else has issues, just me. I think the problem is at my end not what you posted.

Oh I see - you're doing it as a .js file rather than just pasting it into the logo template? In my limited experience this usually means that something is being changed when you save the file. Although I can't think why Notepad would do that - usually that happened to me with wysiwyg-type html editors.

Oh I see - you're doing it as a .js file rather than just pasting it into the logo template? In my limited experience this usually means that something is being changed when you save the file. Although I can't think why Notepad would do that - usually that happened to me with wysiwyg-type html editors.
Yes, I know. Notepad typically reads exactly what you pasted, nothing more or less.

Anyway, it's only the 1st of Dec. I have time to figure it out, LOL.

Yes, I know. Notepad typically reads exactly what you pasted, nothing more or less.

I pasted it into Notepad, saved it as a .js file, and now I can't open the file -- I get a message that there's a compilation error. I don't know enough about .js files or compilation errors or code to fix that. So all I can tell you is, it works if I paste it directly into the template -- we're going to have to wait for a coder to help out to be able to call it as a .js file. :/

I pasted it into Notepad, saved it as a .js file, and now I can't open the file -- I get a message that there's a compilation error. I don't know enough about .js files or compilation errors or code to fix that. So all I can tell you is, it works if I paste it directly into the template -- we're going to have to wait for a coder to help out to be able to call it as a .js file. :/
So it wasn't just me...it was trying to make it a js file such as mentioned in the first few posts after your original post.

Remove the <script type="text/javascript"> and </script> when saving it as a .js file.
That's only required when using it in an html template.

Apolgogies for not pointing this out initially, I didn't actually look at the code until now :oops:

If you still can't get it working I'll have a play with it later.

I put it in a .js file and the snow falls in the top part only and disappears... and I couldn't get it out of the admin / mod panel part.

What is the best place to actually put it, template wise, so the snow falls across the entire pages?

Exact specifics if possible?

I put it in a .js file and the snow falls in the top part only and disappears... and I couldn't get it out of the admin / mod panel part.

What is the best place to actually put it, template wise, so the snow falls across the entire pages?

Exact specifics if possible?

I paste the script at the top (ahead of) of everything else that's in the template logo_block. The script - not the call for a .js file; I haven't tried that yet.

The snow does disappear behind the navbar for reasons that elude me, but reappears once it gets past that point.

The snow does disappear behind the navbar for reasons that elude me, but reappears once it gets past that point.
Turn off CSS and look at where the navbar goes... it may give you some hints as to why the snow disappears :)

You might as well be speaking to me in Russian, Kier. lol
Okay, here is a screenshot of the top of this thread with CSS disabled. Note the complete lack of all the stuff from the navigation bar. That's because it all gets moved into place by CSS - it's not really at the top of the page, hence why your snow appears to disappear.

Screen shot 2010-12-01 at 23.57.07.webp

Is there any way to limit the snow to a particular DIV on a page? i.e. I'd like to have the snow for the header, but not over the forums itself.

Is there any way to limit the snow to a particular DIV on a page? i.e. I'd like to have the snow for the header, but not over the forums itself.

Not for a non-coder, anyway. But it's been ages since I found that script, I'll take a look around and see if anyone's updated it.

Meanwhile - for what it's worth, if your message area is some shade of white, just set the snow to the same color and it won't show up there.

The best way to do this would be to edit you current logo (i'm assuming that's where you want it) and add in the snow effect. Problem with this though is that the snow layer is shaped for the navbar and may look odd on your logo. Each and every logo would have a unique shaped snow layer due to type of font and size of the font/logo.

I suppose you could add in a span class in the header and take it from there if you don't wish to go down the image editing route but again, the shaping may not look right on your logo though it's worth a try.

The image editing route as you can see below. Ignore the navbar snow.

Attachments

• xenforo_local_festive.webp
    xenforo_local_festive.webp
    19.1 KB · Views: 81
  • xenforo_local_festive1.webp
    xenforo_local_festive1.webp
    16.4 KB · Views: 71
I can't find any version of the script that limits the snow to the top of the page, although there are several dozen versions of this script around, one of them with a stop-the-snow button.

I have a Flash snow file which can be configured in a hundred different ways, and which could be placed only at the top - you're welcome to the source file if you want it. But I'm assuming nobody wants to use Flash.

Top Bottom