1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

SMTP Authentication

Discussion in 'XenForo Pre-Sales Questions' started by Private_Ale, Jul 31, 2010.

1. Private_Ale

Private_Ale Member

Hi,

I can't wait for this to be officially released. Anyway on to the main question:

Will there an option for all forum-generated mail to be sent through an authenticated SMTP server, like how vB has it? If it's already implemented GREAT! :D If not, maybe it can be considered for the first release? :)

Although some forums may not have a need, other forums (that I have been around, mine included) would need to use an SMTP server for outbound mails for ensured delivery instead of directly spitting them out of the server's local mail system :)

Thanks,
    Mo

2. Kier

Kier XenForo Developer Staff Member

This should answer your question :)

Attached Files:

Spenser, Marcus, Ceri May and 3 others like this.
  3. Private_Ale

Private_Ale Member

FABULOUS! :D
    Thank you Kier and team! Can't wait.

4. Walter

Walter Well-Known Member

And a setting for bounced emails, too!
    You made my day! Thanks a lot, Kier!

5. ManagerJosh

ManagerJosh Well-Known Member

Wow! Does this mean also we're going to stop seeing the flood of SQL Database Error messages as well? :D Or being able to automatically manage accounts with bounced emails?

6. Alfa1

Alfa1 Well-Known Member

Does it handle bounced mail in any way?

7. p4guru

p4guru Well-Known Member

8. Alfa1

Alfa1 Well-Known Member

A bounced email addy does not manage accounts with bounced emails. It only gives an address where the thousands of emails can go to. Then it need to be processed...

9. Mike

Mike XenForo Developer Staff Member

It doesn't at this point. It's a huge topic, though I agree it's important.

Tigratrus, Derek Ivey and Ceri May like this.
  10. Walter

Walter Well-Known Member

But being able to add the bounce email address is already an improvement to the current situation in vb...

11. kmike

kmike Member

vBulletin has a setting for bounce email address in 3.8. Maybe in 3.7, too.

12. Hornstar

Hornstar Well-Known Member

Glad the bounced email situation is acknowledged here. It is a major problem on my site. It would be a huge incentive for me to convert if XF had it developed ^^

13. Alfa1

Alfa1 Well-Known Member

Im working on figuring out a useful algorithm to automatically extract hard/soft bounces from an email inbox. Let me know if you want that info.

Tigratrus likes this.
  14. Tigratrus

Tigratrus Well-Known Member

Oh, please, take Alfa up on that ;).