XF 1.3 Smiley Management Enhancements

Welcome to the first Have you seen... for XenForo 1.3!

In this video, I demonstrate the significant improvements and new features we've added to make the management of smilies easier, faster and more flexible.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.
View on Vimeo

... update, Dec 11th - a follow-up video :)

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.
View on Vimeo

Last edited:
[Regarding making sprites:]Create a blank canvas, add all of the separate images to it.

It only works for static images though, not .gif files with frames (moving).
Wait, do sprites not work for animated .gifs? I gather that as the number of images on a given .gif sprite sheet increases, the compression might decrease. Are there problems beyond this?

Ahhh... So ideally the final sprite would have a number of frames equal to the least common multiple of the number of frames of the individual sprites.

Yeah, that would suck. Thanks.

@Kier nice video!

Now then, if the first release of xF 1.3 is on my birthday... I'm buying a lottery ticket. (Which I'll be able to do, as it would be my 16th birthday).

Last edited:
So can we expect SVG support for smilies ?

With a lot of devices now displaying in true HD, apple retina, or even the rare 4k display... Simple png files don't always cut it.

While I agree in some cases HD support would be good I don't personally need it. As long as the smilies (png) work, I'm happy. I can't see myself ever converting to smilies HD (.svg). Is there a standing suggestion for this?

DISCUZ is still very far from a good forum system like XenForo.
and..they have had enough time to develop that smiley system...initial release of DISCUZ was in March 2002 whereas XF Initial release was in March 8, 2011.
You are requesting too much.
As a former Discuz! user, I think Discuz!'s development team lost focus since Discuz 6, but in-depth discussions like these aren't allowed here so... :whistle:

Yeah, I'd like to see batch import for smiley sprites and a category preset. Additionally, automatically-generated replacement text (:filename-goes-here:)

(y)

Great to see you back Kier!

And great to see how to properly react to customer feedback too.

Nice work on the new smiley features. :cool:

Just one question.:)

The drag and drop functionality. Will that be used in other places where display orders are used? The Node Tree comes to mind.:whistle:

And I am expecting this is just a small start, the first small rocket, to the fireworks for upcoming 1.3 HYS stuff!;)

Because, adding smilies, as much as they are needed in a good forum, are a fire and forget functionality. Get them set up pretty much once and they are hardly ever touched again (at least for most forum owners). So the value of these additions, although neat and nice to have, is actually low. Don't want to belittle the work. Quite the contrary, this is great stuff!

But, that is why I'd venture to say, these improvements are just a low hanging fruit and the first small rocket to a bigger upcoming fireworks of great features for 1.3.:)

I'm waiting in anticipation for the next "oooohs and aaaaahs"!

Scott
Amen.

This is a great improvement to the XF core. It took me over two days to organize my 200+ smileys as they are all different sizes .

The batch import is a much needed feature, but it would be even better with following:
  • Option to select the category before scanning the directory
  • Text to replace would be auto-populated with the file name

Top Bottom