SMF to XenForo

Status
Not open for further replies.

qureshi007

Dear sir I have a website where I am using SMF forum but now I want to change smf and use xenforo for forum but I have a problem that I have my previous posts on smf whom I do to want to waste you can see my old data and posts at my site http://www.achisite.com/ so is there any method available for migration of smf forum to xenforo and is there any discount coupon available ?

I am also now highly considering moving our forums from SMF to XF. We have about 120000 posts with 6500 members (probably quite a few that need to be trimmed). I'm assuming that first we would need to update SMF to the newest version? We are currently on Powered by SMF 1.1.19 and it looks like we need to get to 2.0.x.

I migrated from 2.0.x, so I cannot tell you if it's going to work.

If you're able to have more than 1 SQL DB, then you can test the migration without messing with your actual forum.

I am also now highly considering moving our forums from SMF to XF. We have about 120000 posts with 6500 members (probably quite a few that need to be trimmed). I'm assuming that first we would need to update SMF to the newest version? We are currently on Powered by SMF 1.1.19 and it looks like we need to get to 2.0.x.

I would try converting from 1.19. The converter from SMF 1.X to PHPBB3 is located here

Once you have the forum over in PHPBB the procedure should be the same as I described here
Not sure how the passwords will work but as @Skylined wrote, if you have a test forum, run it first in that instance.

Doing SMF 1.19 to .2.04 and then to PHPBB to eventually end up in Xenforo seems like an unnecessary long path. The support from the Xenforo team have been excellent so if you get stuck , even if I can not promise support, I still think you will get what's needed.

So tonight is my big night for the migration from SMF to XenForo as well as the whole new website system with XF as the user and authentication system. And it's not going so well so far!

I've just done the conversion to PHPBB. I setup the initial admin in phpbb3 as the same username, pwd, email etc as my SMF forum and after the conversion, that user id 1 is converted to some anonymous guest and my own 'Malo' user is the last id autoincrement with all the posts, pm's etc all allocated to that id. I don't remember noticing or this happening with the first trial conversion I did a couple months back.

If I convert this to my XF forum, what will happen with the 'Malo' user? Since the XF admin id 1 is 'Malo' with the same email, will it take that Malo user 8923 and shift everything to the XF admin id 1 for all the posts etc?

EDIT: Nevermind, the XF import merges back with the conflicting user

Last edited:
So it looks like most of it went well. A bunch of links were kinda messed up but using the awesome regex search and replace mod I'm able to fix up a lot of them easily. The only problem is the links in signatures, as the mod only goes through the posts themselves.

My biggest issue is that the attachments didn't seem to come across. I checked the phpbb3 intermediate board and the attachments are all there in the file structure and the database and the posts themselves display the attachments fine. But there were non at all that came over to XenForo.

Any suggestions on how I can go about getting the attachments into XF?

My biggest issue is that the attachments didn't seem to come across. I checked the phpbb3 intermediate board and the attachments are all there in the file structure and the database and the posts themselves display the attachments fine. But there were non at all that came over to XenForo.

Any suggestions on how I can go about getting the attachments into XF?
You have to use the root path
/XXX/XXX/public_html/smfforum/attachments/
/XXX/XXX/public_html/smfforum/avatars/

That's from SMF. The attachments were migrated fine into phpbb and they're present in the phpbb file structure (files/) but they didn't come over to XF.

You know if absolute paths were required, that really should have a BIG NOTE IN ALL CAPS when you go through the Configure Importer, especially given this is an official supported importer. Why did avatars come across fine and attachments didn't when both were using relative paths?

When I imported from phpBB the first time, I did a relative path many times and it did not do avatars or attachments. Some one suggested to me to use absolute path and it has worked flawlessly for me every time.

Typically I suggest trying a relative path first.
If that doesn't work then you can try an absolute path, which is going to be something like /home/sitename/public_html/installation/attachments

Hi,

I want to move my forum (smf 2.0.7) to xenforo, how can i do that?,

is a little forum (13mb of database) but i'dont want lose trheads, boards and user passwords

(sorry my english isn't good, but can read : ) )

Hi,

I want to move my forum (smf 2.0.7) to xenforo, how can i do that?,

is a little forum (13mb of database) but i'dont want lose trheads, boards and user passwords

(sorry my english isn't good, but can read : ) )

I had to convert SMF to PHPBB then to XF. Be aware the two operate very different some good some not so much. (You have to go through vB, IPB, myBB or phpBB in order to convert to XenForo as there is no SMF converter available.)
XF is a great software, but there are major differences between SMF & XF and they do things way different.
Options for XF are often paid mods that were free on SMF.
In my conversion we lost password but kept posts and thread intact.
If you are looking for someone to do this I had a real good guy did a great job on mine, pm me if interested.
I can connect you to him.

pay isn't problem for me, indeed i haven't decided yet between ipb or xenforo,

i prefer xenforo but i would not want to lose passwords

which is safer?

a) smf 2.0.7 -> mybb 1.6 -> xenforo

or

b) smf 2.0.7 -> phpbb3 -> xenforo

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom