SMF to XenForo

Status
Not open for further replies.

qureshi007

Dear sir I have a website where I am using SMF forum but now I want to change smf and use xenforo for forum but I have a problem that I have my previous posts on smf whom I do to want to waste you can see my old data and posts at my site http://www.achisite.com/ so is there any method available for migration of smf forum to xenforo and is there any discount coupon available ?

Is it easy to migrate from SMF to Xenforo?

I would say so. There are things to be considered were most have listed in this thread. You will have to do a two step migration, in my case I used phpBB as the intermittent platform

Having made the switch from SMF to Xenforo, the verdict is clear. We would never consider going back to SMF.

Last edited:
For others, this is how I did it...

I uploaded the attached file to the library/XenForo/Authentication directory.

Then I copied the smf_members table from the SMF database to the XenForo database.

Then I ran this query on the XenForo database:

Code:
UPDATE xf_user_authenticate AS ua, smf_members AS m
SET ua.data = BINARY
    CONCAT(
        CONCAT(
            CONCAT('a:3:{s:4:"hash";s:40:"', m.passwd),
            CONCAT('";s:4:"name";s:', LENGTH(LOWER(m.member_name)), ':"', LOWER(m.member_name))
        ),
        '";s:8:"hashFunc";s:4:"sha1";}'
    ),
ua.scheme_class = 'XenForo_Authentication_SMF'
WHERE ua.user_id = m.id_member
AND LENGTH(m.passwd) = 40;

Note that in the case of his import the user_ids were the same in both SMF and XF (WHERE ua.user_id = m.id_member). Otherwise a subquery would normally be necessary to do the id map.
@Jake Bunce, can the smf_members table and SMF.php file be deleted after doing this?

I like to have my forum as original as possible, so I'll try somthing else.

I'll use a Notice for guests, so if they really are registered users, they can reset their passwords, something like this...
Code:
If you lost your password, <a href=lost-password>reset it here</a>.

When my forum is relaunched, I'll send an email to all my users telling them to reset their passwords with the included link.

I like to have my forum as original as possible, so I'll try somthing else.

I'll use a Notice for guests, so if they really are registered users, they can reset their passwords, something like this...
Code:
If you lost your password, <a href=lost-password>reset it here</a>.

When my forum is relaunched, I'll send an email to all my users telling them to reset their passwords with the included link.

I was thinking of a similar approach but decided that I will let me users get comfortable with Xenforo, have it run for a while and during an future upgrade I will let them change the password.

In this way I minimized the hurdles to get into the new system. It probably depends on the users which is the best approach

Does anyone perform SMF to Xenforo as a service? I searched around the threads and the ones that were posted are either no longer in business or look a little iffy. I tried PMing Jake a few times, but not getting any response.

Any thoughts?

Thanks!

I'd consider paying a premium for a built-in SMF importer. Maybe if enough SMF users would be willing to do that, it might be enough of an incentive for one to be developed.

I am betting XF is losing millions even not having the compatibility, SMF has a huge following and poor support which often leads people to VB or XF. I would think a super high priority would be to have this occur. I was kinda shocked there was no converter. Thats just odd.
I easily would have paid 200 for XF if it made it easy. Just thing you could make 25% or more by having a converter.

Agreed, but we don't know what other projects are keeping the developer(s) busy. Meanwhile, I'm not sure how we get anyone's attention to address this issue.

Meanwhile, I've tried a couple of migrations (conversions) to other platforms, including phpBB, and they haven't worked. It's possible that a conversion to vBulletin would work, but I'm choking on the idea of buying a vB license just to use it as an intermediate step in a conversion, with no guarantee that it will work.

I like the community here too thats a bonus, my opinion over VB, I have heard XF is pulling away in that battle.
Its kinda like XF is a water company, people want to buy water. LOL but they don't want to sell it? LOL

True, developers are probably busy, but when you have people will to pay more for a simple addition makes my head go :confused:.
Because more sales mean more business, and more money for more development .

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom