SMF to XenForo

Status
Not open for further replies.

qureshi007

Dear sir I have a website where I am using SMF forum but now I want to change smf and use xenforo for forum but I have a problem that I have my previous posts on smf whom I do to want to waste you can see my old data and posts at my site http://www.achisite.com/ so is there any method available for migration of smf forum to xenforo and is there any discount coupon available ?

People talk allot about it over in the SMF threads, the news wouldn't be here it would be out in public, just my opinion.
I know very little about servers and software. LOL know allot about business though :) At least I know something !:whistle:

Brogan said:
Importers are developed based on perceived need. There hasn't really been a lot of requests from SMF users.

Understood, but it might be a case of chicken and egg.

This thread has 10 likes:

If that's the criteria for determining "perceived need", then I think that's a big mistake. I rarely, if ever, 'like' anything.

I've said my piece, so I'll bow out of the discussion. Suffice to say I won't be waiting around forever, hoping there's a migration path; I might as well wait for future revisions &/or forks of SMF to show up.

Thanks for listening.

If that's the criteria for determining "perceived need", then I think that's a big mistake. I rarely, if ever, 'like' anything.
Perhaps you should take note of one of the criteria for implementing suggestions:

First and foremost, if you like the suggestion that a person has made, like the post. If you have further tweaks to the suggestion, please post them but still like the post.
Threads with a large number of likes will bubble up to the top and give us things to focus on. However, please keep in mind that a highly-liked suggestion is not guaranteed to be implemented. There may be technical reasons to not do it or it may not fit in with the goals for the product. We will give our thoughts on as many suggestions as possible.

Thanks Brogan, I think. I was ready to purchase a license just to evaluate xenForo, but it appears that a convertor from SMF is not going to be a priority any time soon. So, there's nothing to evaluate. I haven't read/found any of the "technical reasons" for not developing a migrator, so I'm not sure why I'm being referred to that quoted message. Believe me, I do understand the need to allocate available resources based on need; But the stiff arm is no different from the reasons many folks wish to migrate from SMF.

No disrespect intended, but it might be good to hear from a developer about if/when a migrator might be developed.

It's not a difficult concept to understand.

Sorry, but I've already said I don't 'like' anything, and that comment is somewhat disrespectful. If 'likes' are the only criteria/motivation for developing a converter, then I have to assume it won't be developed any time soon. Let me know if/when that philosophy or the priority changes. Meanwhile, I'm not holding my breath or purchasing a license; I must have spent too many years satisfying customers around the globe.

Based on the lack of 'likes', I have to conclude that a converter won't be implemented any time soon; My single 'like' would do nothing to change the statistics.. As I said, let me know if/when this philosophy or the priority changes Meanwhile, I'd like to hear from someone who actually develops the converters.

Importers are developed based on perceived need.

There hasn't really been a lot of requests from SMF users.

This thread has 10 likes: http://xenforo.com/community/threads/smf-2-0-to-xenforo-converter.57036/

My 10 cents would be that for converters a voting system is less effective as you are targeting new customers. Now I changed and I do not regret the change but before changing I did not even know how Xenforo prioritized there development efforts. Also, as a new customer, I look either on the existing features or features that are announced to be available in the future.

So I think that Xenforo, in this case, should make the decision based on there own judgement of the market. Are SMF users moving away from the platform, yes for sure. Are SMF users willing to pay for commercial software, this I do not know.

Nicely put shorepower.

Agree 100%. Hopefully, my posts didn't suggest otherwise.

I fully understand the challenge to prioritize, so my post was just meant as input on how I reasoned making my selection. Having said that, the actual migration (as I wrote) was quite straight forward but then we had a fairly small forum.

As a now customer to Xenforo I must admit I'm dual on putting resources on a conversation tool. On one hand, getting more customers to Xenforo will be good for all current customers as more resources/funding will be available. On the other hand, having already migrated, it's more important for me to get new functions than new conversation tools. For this reason, I think Xenforo's staff is better positioned to make the judgement on where to spend the resources, not via likes for this type of features.

For people reading this thread, I can only stress how glad I am that we made the switch from SMF. I spend much less time on adding/patching features that are needed to keep up with the ever evolving internet universe, receive better support, have more traffic, less spam and more satisfied members that spends longer time on our site.

I have two, 1 million post+ SMF forums I need to move to another platform, preferably XenForo. I've already done some test migrations to various platforms but these proved quite problematical for a number of reasons. An official SMF to XenForo importer would certainly save me a lot of time and effort.

What @shorepower said. :)

I can say that if shorepower didn't write that guide, I don't know if I would have migrated to xF.

I'm glad it helped @Skylined. Seen that you also had some 301 questions which I think should be part of a migration. Question to @Brogan and @Jake Bunce Would it help/be "allowed" to create a resource of this migration thread + the 301 redirect thread.

I could pull it together but I will not have the time to maintain it so perhaps a waste of time.

There are dedicated categories in the RM for guides - for XenForo and add-ons.

Feel free to create one if you think others would find it useful.

a few points: +1 thanks to @shorepower for the guide. I have it bookmarked and will begin to attempt an SMF --> XF migration myself, knowing that it will take a lot of time and errors.

My 10 cents would be that for converters a voting system is less effective as you are targeting new customers. Now I changed and I do not regret the change but before changing I did not even know how Xenforo prioritized there development efforts. Also, as a new customer, I look either on the existing features or features that are announced to be available in the future.

So I think that Xenforo, in this case, should make the decision based on there own judgement of the market. Are SMF users moving away from the platform, yes for sure. Are SMF users willing to pay for commercial software, this I do not know.

Agreed with this completely. Liking the first post is an overloaded function if you are also using it to judge demand. It's also not a good indicator when the feature is aimed at customer acquisition (bringing over SMF users since they may not have active accounts here).

From another thread by @Jake Bunce

Looking through the imports that I have done, SMF is definitely the most popular one that doesn't yet have an official importer.

I went back and liked the first post, but officially want to say: "SMF importer, please!"

Are SMF users moving away from the platform, yes for sure. Are SMF users willing to pay for commercial software, this I do not know.

I was a long time supporter and used SMF for years on over 20 forums. I just recently moved 12 over to Xenforo. So yes after years of using a free platform and finally realizing you get what you pay for I opted for commercial software. The support here (even lacking the SMF converter) is way more friendly and supportive. The quality and modernization of Xenforo, the dedication of the devs far outweighs a mish mash of volunteers trying their hand at programing forum software. If I'm not mistaken there are 4? full time devs here putting out update and revisions at a comfortable speed (compared to others) which works right out of the box without having to worry about poor quality control. Compare that to the 40 plus devs on SMF who take years to fix security issues reported by their users years before, you get what you pay for.

LOL just my luck they will come out with a converter after I'm done doing my change over but that's ok. Over the past few months I've learned a lot from patient staff, devs, and other users who don't treat you with disrespect and talk down to you when you ask a (to others) stupid noob question.

I will probably migrate away from SMF... Sadly.

I was a developer on YaBB SE, then was support on Spanish forum (lack of time).

Is sad to see that after that many years the software is the same (SMF). XenForo looks very well made, and once I have time will check it out. For now I'm only surfing the forums.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom