XF 1.4 SMF 2.0 to XF 1.4

Shawn Gossman

Okay so I merged my SMF forum to XF the other day. The forum can be found at sicycling.com, a forum for southern IL cycling folks.

First off, this was the easiest and quickest software merge I've ever done, congrats on that XF, you did well :)

But for the bugs or issues, I hate to call things "bugs" unless they are officially designated as one...

1. Avatars did not transfer over, I didn't have a custom folder for the avatar/attachment deal either, it was all default SMF
  2. Everyones birthday has been reset to 1900 and I cannot seem to locate the option to allow them to change it? Please advise :)
  3. Some permissions from custom user groups did not go over well but that is fine because it was custom on SMF, obviously not XF, wasn't that difficult to fix
  4. My SMF admin account did not transfer as a super-admin. Not sure if that was supposed to be like that or not. Had to change this by editing the config file, no big deal though.
So far that is my report! Glad to get SI Cycling to XenForo, now to make it a HUGE cycling forum :)

1 and 2 are the main issues here, and I have a smaller test case for the attachments and avatars so that should hopefully lead to a solution. In my testing, the birthdays came over no problem. What exact version of SMF did you move from?

Unfortunately users can't change their own birthdays in XenForo.

3 is trickier as the way permissions work between the two systems use different concepts; but most should come across properly. I'll take another look at that.

4 is just how it's designed, we don't bring Super Admins over. The default Super Admin has a user ID of 1 so if your Admin account came over as ID 1 it would be fine, but otherwise it would need to be added manually.

Glad the import went mostly ok

2.0.9 was my version of SMF, I always took updates via the package manager "auto updater" function if that helps.

So there is no way to allow users to change their DOB at all? NO addon or anything? If not, that's not too difficult as I can manually do it for them and membership isn't that high atm.

Yeah, that's annoying.

That must be how SMF stores white space in some cases. We can strip those out.

There's an add-on that might help you remove them, I'll get the details on exactly what to do and let you know.

Everyones birthday has been reset to 1900 and I cannot seem to locate the option to allow them to change it? Please advise :)
Do you still have the SMF database?

If so, can you check, did these users have a birthdate of: 0001-01-01 in the members table? I think that's the default for some users. On my clean install, though, it was blank.

By the way, if that is the case, and these users didn't have a birthday to begin with, you could try this query to fix it:

Code:
UPDATE xf_user_profile
    SET dob_day = 0, dob_month = 0, dob_year = 0
    WHERE dob_year = '1900'

Slightly discriminative if you happen to have any 114 year old users, but I suspect you might not :)

Running this query ought to do it, actually:
Code:
UPDATE xf_post
SET message = REPLACE(message, ' ', ' ');

The &nbsp problem also occurred in the SMF - phpBB migration tool that I used as the first step in my two phased migration from SMF - https://xenforo.com/community/threads/smf-to-xenforo.53887/page-3#post-640833

You also need to update the conversation messages as they also contains &nbsp. I used this SQL-code (yes, I know, I'm not a coder, I learn by reading manuals and trial+error)
Code:
UPDATE my_db_name.xf_conversation_message
SET my_db_name.xf_conversation_message.message
= REPLACE (my_db_name.xf_conversation_message.message ,' ',' ')
WHERE my_db_name.xf_conversation_message.message like '% %';

For avatars and attachements it seems to be random errors. For me it worked, but reading the thread linked above, there are plenty of examples where it did not. I'm wondering if it's differences in SMF setting depending on the original version installed and later upgraded

Last edited:
The   issue has been sorted in the next version of the importer. It just happens in the stage that strips out BB Code which happens for all user generated content, including conversations.

The avatar/attachments issue was sorted as well.

Avatars will have worked if they were stored in a custom directory rather than in the attachments directory, but attachments will have only worked if more than one attachment directory had been configured. A fair bit of this stuff is relatively illogical in how it is handled, so some scenarios weren't immediately clear in initial testing.

Top Bottom