1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Smashboards.com moving to Xenforo

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Nudaii, Feb 14, 2013.

1. Nudaii

Nudaii Well-Known Member

I came across this on google, its either a slow server or a massive site to take 24+ hours to important threads and posts

http://www.smashboards.com/

Be interesting to see when it comes back up, the site has a wiki article, seems to be a large smash bros community

2. Chris D

Chris D XenForo Developer Staff Member

Ack...

They should have almost definitely used Digitalpoint's crazy fast importer if it's going to take 24-48 hours.

yavuz and Lawrence like this.
  3. JVCode

JVCode Well-Known Member

Looking at their forum stats from Jan 2013... Threads: 216,893, Posts: 13,506,036, Members: 125,340

Adam Howard likes this.
  4. Chris D

Yeah... that'd do it...

Great to see big boards like that coming over to XenForo. Even with all the uncertainty around here :)

Evina and Adam Howard like this.
  5. MOZ

MOZ Well-Known Member

I was thinking about this, big sites coming to XF even with the case. They probably have some lawyers or better educated people who know the future is bright.

6. jmurrayhead

jmurrayhead Well-Known Member

Or the brains and resources to build on the incredibly flexible XenForo architecture.

Lucas, Sadik B and HWS like this.
  7. Claudio

Claudio Well-Known Member

it seems they are doing the import online while localhost is the best option..much faster!

8. Carlos

Carlos Well-Known Member

Last time I was there, it was.... slllllloooooooowwww.

GLAD to see they're making the big move! (y)

Another big board goes xenForo, which is a testament to the power of KAM! :)

0xym0r0n and Adam Howard like this.
  9. Adam Howard

Adam Howard Well-Known Member

One hell of an import.

But not everyone is comfortable in downloading their database to import on local host (sometimes its not possible either). Although it would be faster if that were the case.

10. HWS

HWS Well-Known Member

Not very professional.

Jarod likes this.
  11. digitalpoint

digitalpoint Well-Known Member

Heh... Would have taken about 30 minutes with their size. :)

Jeremy and Chris D like this.
  12. Chris D

It'd probably still get done sooner if they started again with yours now hehe...

13. Forsaken

Forsaken Well-Known Member

Until recently, they were just a stagnating community owned by MLG, and really couldn't do much but wait for approval on different things they've wanted to do. They weren't even funded for a decent style, so one of their members did their current one for them.

14. realwx

realwx Member

Hi, I'm doing the conversion, you can thank Forsaken for talking me into doing it in the first place :p

I went searching for Digitalpoint's converter but only found the one that imported from vBulletin 4. Didn't know you had a vB3 one haha. We also looked into the PHP CLI, but from forum posts here made me think twice about using it since apparently it skips a lot of threads.

Importing members only took an hour. 13.6mil posts to convert I think though... that's not counting the ones pre-2007 that we archived too.

15. HWS

HWS Well-Known Member

Do not use the PHP CLI. It is seriously broken.
    Transfer the database to a local machine. Create a RAM disk large enough to hold the databases and start from there.

16. Deebs

Deebs Well-Known Member

Can you provide sources to backup your claim that the PHP CLI importer is seriously broken? Want to read more into this as I used the CLI importer.

17. Chris D

HWS unfortunately has this habit of stating his opinion as fact. You will see this trend in many of his posts.

Adam Howard likes this.
  18. Forsaken

Forsaken Well-Known Member

What!? Are you saying he isn't some omnipotent being that knows anything and everything at a given time, and that every statement should not be taken as fact. Fooled me :sneaky:.

0xym0r0n and Adam Howard like this.
  19. The Dark Wizard

The Dark Wizard Well-Known Member

Let us all sing a song together!

20. Deebs

Deebs Well-Known Member

Brown girl in the ring....