Small announcement about AVForums

Status
Not open for further replies.
sweet

Off topic forum doesn't do this thread justice.. maybe need a forum dedicated to XF migration/importer projects where folks can document their journey to XF :)

The adblocker currently checks for a commonly blocked element of advertising and if it's been blocked, a secondary usergroup is activated for that member which limits their private messages to 5, prevents them from participating in our classifieds, stops the downloading of thumbnails and a few other things. It's toggled automatically dependent upon the presence of this advertising element.
Obviously it's a contentious issue, but without advertising, there would be no AVForums, so I think we're justified in giving more to those people who allow the ads.

I am considering a yearly subscription to NOT have ads and perhaps bundle it with additional (paid for) privileges.

The logic - if they dont want ads - let them pay for not having ads.

The difficulty there is judging the value of the ad impressions seen by a member.
Been working with Chris Deeming and the current state of play is:
  • Compact Forum List Shows the compact/detailed forum list and allows people to swap between the two Make more 1.2 compatible (use TMs etc.)
  • Subforums Replicate the subforum list Pending 1.2
  • Users Currently Viewing Displays the number of people viewing a forum in the forum list and the threads in the thread list Final Testing
  • Banners Implement a DFP banner management system Completed
  • Custom Post New Thread button Customised text on a per forum basis Completed
  • Thread archival Allows members to archive their threads. A forum can have another forum designated as the location where threads are archived to. Completed
  • Birth Date restrictions Denies permission to post to a forum if a members' DOB is lower than a certain age. Typically 18 Completed
  • Max thread count per forum Need to restrict the number of threads members can have in certain forums. We limit the number of classified threads someone can have per classified forum to 1 Completed
  • Custom Thread Form Customised thread form. Text and form fields. The form field contents are formatted into the first post. In progress
  • Checkpoint System For moderators to indicate when posts have been checked Planned
  • Breadcrumb node menu Gives a complete menu system under the breadcrumb Planned
  • Newsletters Management of mailing lists Planned
  • User name request Members can request a user name change. This is put in a moderation queue and can be approved or denied with a reason Planned
  • Conversation Spam check Creates a thread in the mod's forum when a members spams via private conversations Planned
  • Unactivated user management Deletes users who have been awaiting email activation for a long period of time Planned
---- We can go live at this point ---
  • Adblock flagging Detects users who are blocking ads and toggles a secondary user group Planned
  • Members Signed up today Display the names of members who signed up today under the Sign Up Now! button. Like the list of members online now Planned
  • Image count Displays the count of images in a post to mods and admin. This is to detect hidden images posted by cookie stuffers Planned
  • Gamer Cards Display Xbox, Playstation or Steam gamer cards instead of avatar in relevant forums Planned
  • Survey system Full blown survey system Planned
  • Bump/Age threads Bump a thread up or down Planned
  • User mod log Displays moderation actions on a users' content in their profile Planned
  • Prevent bumping old threads Forces people replying to acknowledge that they are aware that this is an old thread Planned
  • Download thread as PDF <- What he said Planned

Last edited:
V cool to see the roadmap - thanks for sharing.

3 questions

Are you testing now with 1.2 or waiting for it to go gold..?

It wasn't totally clear to me. Is the reviews system scheduled for release by your good self as a Xenforo add on or is it one that you are keeping back for your own use?

Is there a list of add ons that will be made available?

Thanks

Congrats matey.. Will keep a keen eye on this, was a long time stalker of you site without ever signing up.. can't wait to see how it turns out.

If you do not currently have a designer in mind i would like to put my name forward for that assuming you are not creating your own XF style.

The difficulty there is judging the value of the ad impressions seen by a member.
Been working with Chris Deeming and the current state of play is:
  • Compact Forum List Shows the compact/detailed forum list and allows people to swap between the two Make more 1.2 compatible (use TMs etc.)
  • Subforums Replicate the subforum list Pending 1.2
  • Users Currently Viewing Displays the number of people viewing a forum in the forum list and the threads in the thread list Final Testing
  • Banners Implement a DFP banner management system Completed
  • Custom Post New Thread button Customised text on a per forum basis Completed
  • Thread archival Allows members to archive their threads. A forum can have another forum designated as the location where threads are archived to. Completed
  • Birth Date restrictions Denies permission to post to a forum if a members' DOB is lower than a certain age. Typically 18 Completed
  • Max thread count per forum Need to restrict the number of threads members can have in certain forums. We limit the number of classified threads someone can have per classified forum to 1 Completed
  • Custom Thread Form Customised thread form. Text and form fields. The form field contents are formatted into the first post. In progress
  • Checkpoint System For moderators to indicate when posts have been checked Planned
  • Breadcrumb node menu Gives a complete menu system under the breadcrumb Planned
  • Newsletters Management of mailing lists Planned
  • User name request Members can request a user name change. This is put in a moderation queue and can be approved or denied with a reason Planned
  • Conversation Spam check Creates a thread in the mod's forum when a members spams via private conversations Planned
  • Unactivated user management Deletes users who have been awaiting email activation for a long period of time Planned
---- We can go live at this point ---
  • Adblock flagging Detects users who are blocking ads and toggles a secondary user group Planned
  • Members Signed up today Display the names of members who signed up today under the Sign Up Now! button. Like the list of members online now Planned
  • Image count Displays the count of images in a post to mods and admin. This is to detect hidden images posted by cookie stuffers Planned
  • Gamer Cards Display Xbox, Playstation or Steam gamer cards instead of avatar in relevant forums Planned
  • Survey system Full blown survey system Planned
  • Bump/Age threads Bump a thread up or down Planned
  • User mod log Displays moderation actions on a users' content in their profile Planned
  • Prevent bumping old threads Forces people replying to acknowledge that they are aware that this is an old thread Planned
  • Download thread as PDF <- What he said Planned

@Stuart Wright, do you have plans to release any of those as paid addons once they're completed?

Thanks, all.
We're developing and testing on 1.2.
The CMS and front end of the editorial system has been too unique and too expensive to release as an addon.
I can't think of anything else that I wouldn't want to release as an addon as I would like to do what I can to support Xenforo. Small addons won't need hardly anything in the way of support, but for larger addons where Chris Deeming would be expected to support them, they will likely not be free. Chris and I will finalise details when we have launched and tested the addons with lots of traffic in September.
Re the design of our Xenforo core, I have asked our designers to work directly within Xenforo to create a design.
But since they are not familiar with Xenforo (they hadn't seen it until a couple of weeks ago), this might be asking too much.
I have already reached out to Audentio for a quote, and for the sake of our business, I should also reach out to other top designers. Our budget is unfortunately stretched to the limit already. Maybe there would be some kudos in creating a design for us which would help persuade a (really good) designer to help :)
mockup3.webp

It's interesting to see how similar your development is to my development plans. Even while my niche is completely different from yours. Your CMS is quite similar to plans I have written out.

Since I have been chatting to a couple of people about the design situation, I thought I would clarify that.
So we have the design of the editorial pages of our new site supplied by our designers. They are old school photoshop from designer -> css, js and html from their coder type organisation.
That design is being coded by John Warwick. It's not using Xenforo code, though it will work within Xenforo and will of course use the Xenforo style. The site header and footer will be the Xenforo header and footer. The header menus will mostly contain dynamic contents from the editorial system. Latest news and such.

What we need is the Xenforo style created which makes the forums look like the editorial.
The designers are working now in the Xenforo admincp to create the design, except the design company don't know anything about Xenforo.
Without intimate knowledge of the various settings and the influences they will have on the final appearance, it's very hit and miss and I don't know whether they can do an efficient job.
My objective is to retain the look and feel of their design (obviously including the colours, no rounded corners or gradient elements etc.) by altering as little as possible in the style properties and templates.

It makes sense at this point to get quotes from Xenforo styling gurus. I've been working with some of the best people to get the best results. Jake Bunce for the import/301 redirects, Chris Deeming for the addons. I would like to get an idea of the cost of creating the style from one of the top stylers. It involves recreating our designers' vision in Xenforo.

We have a whole bunch of pages which people can look at to get an idea of the design vision, but I don't want to make all of them public as I don't want to let too many cats out of the bag ahead of time.

So that's it. We have very little in the way of budget, but if a top designer would like to work with us, then PC me and I will point you to a few pages so you can get a good look at the designs and give me a rough idea of the cost. Then if our current designers struggle to complete the job, I have a backup plan.
Many thanks

I have never understand why webmasters use the same companies for creating designs and for coding designs. Those are very different qualities that rarely go hand in hand. Its like asking an artist to do your bookkeeping.
There are a few rare exceptions.

I have never understand why webmasters use the same companies for creating designs and for coding designs. Those are very different qualities that rarely go hand in hand. Its like asking an artist to do your bookkeeping.
There are a few rare exceptions.
Because when that person comes along that can do both it means you have one point of contact rather than two.

:
Banners Implement a DFP banner management system Completed

Thread archival Allows members to archive their threads. A forum can have another forum designated as the location where threads are archived to. Completed

Birth Date restrictions Denies permission to post to a forum if a members' DOB is lower than a certain age. Typically 18 Completed

Max thread count per forum Need to restrict the number of threads members can have in certain forums. We limit the number of classified threads someone can have per classified forum to 1 Completed

Custom Thread Form Customised thread form. Text and form fields. The form field contents are formatted into the first post. In progress

Checkpoint System For moderators to indicate when posts have been checked Planned

Newsletters Management of mailing lists Planned

User name request Members can request a user name change. This is put in a moderation queue and can be approved or denied with a reason Planned

Conversation Spam check Creates a thread in the mod's forum when a members spams via private conversations Planned

Adblock flagging Detects users who are blocking ads and toggles a secondary user group Planned

Survey system Full blown survey system Planned

Download thread as PDF <- What he said Planned

These particulars look interesting. Can you expand on DFP management? I assume this is a more comprehensive ad-serving system the XenForo side to alternate ads in and out etc?

Thread Archival - Surprised this isn't already available.

Birth Date Restrictions - Actually surprised this hasn't been added to user group promotions as a criteria

Max thread count per forum - cool concept.

Custom thread form - cool concept

Checkpoint - could actually be very useful

Newsletters - Depends how good it is

User name request - I like the idea of having this automated (we have a paid automated system, but before we put that in, having this woulda been quite handy)

Conversation Spam check - what criteria to check for spam?

Adblock flagging - I like the sound of this, would be good to make it more agressive to just display a message "turn off adblock or gtfo"

Survey system - hmm.. would be good to see how this is implemented

Download thread as PDF - This.. make this now :) I have a 30 page thread I need to print to take to court soon... doh!

But, looks like you have a lot of cool addons coming, keep up the good work.

Reactions: DRE
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom