XF 1.5 Slow loading when submitting quick reply

Sal Collaziano

Hey. Are there any specific scenarios that could cause this to happen? My site is lightning fast at all times other than submitting a message through the quick reply interface. What might cause that to happen?

If there are a lot of users watching the thread or forum, this would be the likely cause for any delay here. Otherwise, if you have tools that hit sites on the internet (such as converting URLs to titles or certain media site implements that are used in the message), that would also cause delays.

If there are a lot of users watching the thread or forum, this would be the likely cause for any delay here. Otherwise, if you have tools that hit sites on the internet (such as converting URLs to titles or certain media site implements that are used in the message), that would also cause delays.
Thank you I don't have any tools as you describe. Is there an easy way to see who's watching a thread?

The only way would be looking up the thread ID in xf_thread_watch and the forum it's in in xf_forum_watch to see if there are a lot of records. You can probably test it more simply by temporarily creating a new forum and posting a new thread there -- no watch notifications should be sent in that scenario.

If you still have problems, I would recommend disabling all add-ons and confirming the issue still happens on a default style (without ads displayed, if relevant).

I am experiencing this also and I am still on a local install, so that would nullify the idea that is members watching, at least in my case.
It takes literally 2 seconds for the quick thread box to pop up.

Something else I'm noticing is that if I'm using two separate browser to watch the site - I can use quick reply and it may take 10 seconds or so (not all the time) for the quick post to go through - but in the other browser I can already see the post was completed and is displaying. Does this bring any other possibilities to light?

To note, this also happens with things like "likes"...

Last edited:
I am experiencing this also and I am still on a local install, so that would nullify the idea that is members watching, at least in my case.
It takes literally 2 seconds for the quick thread box to pop up.
Does this happen to you when replying from the quick reply interface? Sometimes, for me, it never even successfully competes the post. However, it IS there. I just don't see the completion on my end...

I didn't see any particular comments in regards to my previous response here, so I don't know if what I said there applies. Watch emails would very potentially cause this. Other add-ons could be involved as well.

But beyond that, it could be one of many things which are potentially outside the control of XF. There could potentially be elements from the server, reverse proxies, etc.

I didn't see any particular comments in regards to my previous response here, so I don't know if what I said there applies. Watch emails would very potentially cause this. Other add-ons could be involved as well.

But beyond that, it could be one of many things which are potentially outside the control of XF. There could potentially be elements from the server, reverse proxies, etc.
I found the culprit:
https://xenforo.com/community/threads/alert-improvements-by-xon.104951/

I doubt it is Alert Improvements, while it does do 1 extra select it is quite lightweight. Additional work is done if it is marking alerts as read, but this should not be expensive.

What version of MySQL do you have? and how much ram does it have (both the machine and how much MySQL is configured to use)
It's probably a combination of add-ons but everything works fine (no delays) with Alert Improvements turned off.

MySQL Version 5.6.38
PHP 7.1.12
Memory 16GB DDR4

I'm not sure how to figure out how much memory MySQL is configured to use. What's the easiest way?

It's probably a combination of add-ons but everything works fine (no delays) with Alert Improvements turned off.

MySQL Version 5.6.38
PHP 7.1.12
Memory 16GB DDR4

I'm not sure how to figure out how much memory MySQL is configured to use. What's the easiest way?
Run this query;
Code:
select @@innodb_buffer_pool_size / 1024 / 1024;
It will report the innodb buffer which is a major performance tuning toggle.

Top Bottom