Not a bug Sitemap Problem?

If we're:
  • Generating the sitemap to specification
  • Making it available at the correct URL(s)
  • It is loading correctly
There's not really much more we can do.

Ironically, at one point, Google stopped processing sitemaps that were hosted on a sitemap.php URL hence why we started recommending (and made available) sitemap.xml.

If sitemap.php is working for you then continue using it.

But ultimately this strange and inconsistent behaviour is really a question that Google themselves ought to answer.

If we're:
  • Generating the sitemap to specification
  • Making it available at the correct URL(s)
  • It is loading correctly
There's not really much more we can do.

Ironically, at one point, Google stopped processing sitemaps that were hosted on a sitemap.php URL hence why we started recommending (and made available) sitemap.xml.

But ultimately this strange and inconsistent behaviour is really a question that Google themselves ought to answer.
Would a feature of being able to change tge number of urls in a sitemap be considered? I don't see any downsides to this as long as the default is 50k

No, because it's not necessary to do that as per Google's own documentation and the official sitemap spec.

Worth noting that one of the customers posting in this thread who is describing issues has a single sitemap (rather than an index, and subsequent sitemap pages) containing significantly fewer than 50,000 URLs.

So there's something else awry here and it isn't the way the sitemap is generated.

We have been using sitemap.php and haven't noticed any issue, ours was last picked up today (Oct 24th) with a success result.
To date, I don't recall sitemap.php ever not working...

We have been using sitemap.php and haven't noticed any issue, ours was last picked up today (Oct 24th) with a success result.
To date, I don't recall sitemap.php ever not working...
Well it's different if you have more than 50k urls and the sitemap becomes an index to sub sitemaps that don't work for some people.

Is there any to delete the original Sitemap.php from the server and have it recreate itself? I am just at a loss here, I recently imported from IPS and I can’t get Google to take it. It was doing just fine on IPS though. That is what I can’t figure out.

Anyone get their Sitemap to read yet? I am up to almost 30 days now on my sitemap.php and my submitted sitemap.xml has still not been read. I did delete my sitemap off my server and did a rebuild and re-submitted and it's still the same. Just wondering if anyone else's sitemap has fixed itself?

Anyone get their Sitemap to read yet? I am up to almost 30 days now on my sitemap.php and my submitted sitemap.xml has still not been read. I did delete my sitemap off my server and did a rebuild and re-submitted and it's still the same. Just wondering if anyone else's sitemap has fixed itself?
I'm still having the same problems as you are. 😞

Top Bottom