XF 1.2 Site Slow When Processing Requests

majesty95

What causes the software to get kind of laggy? For instance, I'll try to post or edit something and I get the the four bars in the right hand corner as if it is just thinking or trying to process. Or when trying to tag someone I'll enter the first three characters and their name will not pop up for it will take several seconds. At first I thought maybe it was my internet or my server but this happens somewhat frequently on another xenforo site that I frequent. Any suggestions?

So the site has been abnormally slow lately. I did a site speed test and this is what I got. Is this my server or something within the software that I can adjust? Any help would be much appreciated!
XenForo 25.webp

So the site has been abnormally slow lately. I did a site speed test and this is what I got. Is this my server or something within the software that I can adjust? Any help would be much appreciated!
View attachment 59497
Are you on shared hosting or a VPS/Dedicated server. If VPS/Dedicated you need to set expires in the headers for your images, css, etc. That will help the first one (but if you do adsense and some other sites like that it wills till show lower than 100%).

Are you on shared hosting or a VPS/Dedicated server. If VPS/Dedicated you need to set expires in the headers for your images, css, etc. That will help the first one (but if you do adsense and some other sites like that it wills till show lower than 100%).

Shared hosting through Web Hosting Hub. Not using AdSense either....

Shared hosting through Web Hosting Hub. Not using AdSense either....
They should already be caching your images, etc. Expand the arrow and see what is not being cached. Sounds like they are poorly configured. They could also be oversold on the node you are on. Is this one of those "economy" shared hosting plans?

They should already be caching your images, etc. Expand the arrow and see what is not being cached. Sounds like they are poorly configured. They could also be oversold on the node you are on. Is this one of those "economy" shared hosting plans?

What arrow? Lol. Not sure what that means.

Oversold on the node? o_O

I guess it could be considered "economy". I want to say it was like $50-80 for the year. I had a lot of "hits" over the summer so they "upgraded" me to a shared that allowed me more resources. Not sure of the specifics but it was supposed to allow me to handle more traffic (not sure that correlates to what you are asking). I was using myBB prior to upgrading to xF and never noticed this issues that I can remember.

Sorry I'm not more tech savvy in this regard. The forum stuff is all new. Most of my web experience was HTML (and that was intermediate at best). All this more in depth stuff is still over my head a bit. I'll catch on eventually though ;)

What arrow? Lol. Not sure what that means.
If you look to the right of the bar that says 17 you will see a little arrow in a circle... that arrow. :)

Oversold on the node? o_O

I guess it could be considered "economy". I want to say it was like $50-80 for the year. I had a lot of "hits" over the summer so they "upgraded" me to a shared that allowed me more resources. Not sure of the specifics but it was supposed to allow me to handle more traffic (not sure that correlates to what you are asking). I was using myBB prior to upgrading to xF and never noticed this issues that I can remember.

Sorry I'm not more tech savvy in this regard. The forum stuff is all new. Most of my web experience was HTML (and that was intermediate at best). All this more in depth stuff is still over my head a bit. I'll catch on eventually though ;)
At $80 a year that would be a little less than $7 a month... that's what I would classify as an "economy" shared hosting. The lower tiers end up frequently oversold and underpowered.
That was one of the reasons I (even though I didn't need it) went to a VPS and then eventually a dedicated server (actually servers since I have split the forums up between 2).
Just out of curiosity, who is the shared hosting provider?

I also have some redirects that it says is slowing it down. I don't have a site homepage so when you go to mysite.com it redirects to community.mysite.com and then to communit.mysite.com/index.php Does it need to end at index.php and if so I guess I can change the middle redirect eliminating one of them...

This is getting more and more frustrating. I contacted my hosting provider and they said:

1: You are on a server that has been upgraded to Better Linux, which is the backbone of our new system to allow for an upgrade path. With the new setup, users who are using to many resources on the server are throttled to stop the need for suspending accounts.

2: There are only 19 users on the server so it's not over sold.

They also said that it appears that my site is "resource intensive". Not sure what that means. I wouldn't think that a 57 member forum would equate to that...

Any ideas? @Tracy Perry @Brogan?

FWIW, I've seen quite a few double and triple posts (like the site isn't updating when a user tries to post so they click submit again and then all of the sudden it catches up and they all post at the same time). I've noticed this on another xF site too just not at this frequency...

1: You are on a server that has been upgraded to Better Linux, which is the backbone of our new system to allow for an upgrade path. With the new setup, users who are using to many resources on the server are throttled to stop the need for suspending accounts.
Sounds to me like they have had a problem with system resource hogs and need to figure some way to solve that. Which throttling will do.
2: There are only 19 users on the server so it's not over sold.
Depending on the hardware that shouldn't be that many. I can set up 20 1GB VPS's on my little 24GB server I just set up with Proxmox and it won't really strain it.

They also said that it appears that my site is "resource intensive". Not sure what that means. I wouldn't think that a 57 member forum would equate to that...

How many add-ons are you using and is the forum the only thing running?

Any ideas? @Tracy Perry @Brogan?

FWIW, I've seen quite a few double and triple posts (like the site isn't updating when a user tries to post so they click submit again and then all of the sudden it catches up and they all post at the same time). I've noticed this on another xF site too just not at this frequency...

If you were familiar with managing a VPS I'd offer you a 512mb one to just try out and see if it worked better than what they have. But they DO require you to be fully responsible for the day to day management of it as I am doing it to just learn how to set up VPS's (KVM and OpenVZ style) on a server.

I was on the cheapest shared hosting with well over 100 active users, a mixture of members and guests, with no issues at all.

Double and triple posts is a classic symptom of server related issues.

All I can suggest is you look at alternative hosts.

I was on the cheapest shared hosting with well over 100 active users, a mixture of members and guests, with no issues at all.

Double and triple posts is a classic symptom of server related issues.

All I can suggest is you look at alternative hosts.

:( What a waste. I thought I did good research before picking a host. Sigh.

Is there something within xF that can cause this on certain servers? I as getting 500+ visits a day and have over 400 members on a myBB forum in July on same server (which is why they upgraded me to the "better linux" server and I never had these issues...

Sounds to me like they have had a problem with system resource hogs and need to figure some way to solve that. Which throttling will do.

Depending on the hardware that shouldn't be that many. I can set up 20 1GB VPS's on my little 24GB server I just set up with Proxmox and it won't really strain it.

How many add-ons are you using and is the forum the only thing running?

If you were familiar with managing a VPS I'd offer you a 512mb one to just try out and see if it worked better than what they have. But they DO require you to be fully responsible for the day to day management of it as I am doing it to just learn how to set up VPS's (KVM and OpenVZ style) on a server.

I appreciate the offer but I really have no idea what any of that means o_O I don't really have the time to learn. I'm not able to dedicate as much time to the site as I was earlier and now most of my time on it is spent in frustration. :unsure:

Its turning into a $400 pain in my rear...

Top Bottom