XF 1.2 Site keeps losing CSS...

TimeWizardCosmo

Hey there,

I moved my xenForo installation to a new host last night, and it keeps losing it's CSS. If I toggle between templates-as-files and back, it comes back for about an hour, then goes away again.

Hopefully this makes sense... Any ideas?

I have seen it.

It looks to me like the server is returning a 304 not modified when it shouldn't be. When I do a hard refresh, I don't have anything to serve from the cache but it's still returning a 304 header for the CSS (sometimes). Based on the headers, it doesn't appear that PHP (and thus our code) is even being invoked, but I'm not sure if they're stripping things out.

This is a tricky issue as normally I would say it's something on the server and I do think it is, but honestly I haven't a clue what it is. I'm afraid that they'll just say it's a script issue. It's hard to really know what to suggest.

I have seen it.

It looks to me like the server is returning a 304 not modified when it shouldn't be. When I do a hard refresh, I don't have anything to serve from the cache but it's still returning a 304 header for the CSS (sometimes). Based on the headers, it doesn't appear that PHP (and thus our code) is even being invoked, but I'm not sure if they're stripping things out.

This is a tricky issue as normally I would say it's something on the server and I do think it is, but honestly I haven't a clue what it is. I'm afraid that they'll just say it's a script issue. It's hard to really know what to suggest.
Okay, I will try opening a ticket with MediaTemple.

Do you think there is anything specific I should include, or would a copy/paste of your post suffice?

Now I can't get it to happen. It seemed like the server was returning a 304 not modified when a hard refresh was done. It didn't appear to be hitting PHP at all (no X-Powered-By header). When that happens, it seems to trigger the issue.

But now it's not doing that...

Now I can't get it to happen. It seemed like the server was returning a 304 not modified when a hard refresh was done. It didn't appear to be hitting PHP at all (no X-Powered-By header). When that happens, it seems to trigger the issue.

I can provide you with admin credentials to the site and server if you feel like it's something you should take a look at first. Not sure what the deal is :(

Yeah, sometimes it will come back naked after I do a control F5, other times it won't. When it DOES, it seems like I can reliably get it back by toggling the template as files option...

Can you ask if they do any form of caching (Varnish), etc? I suppose if they wrongly cached a 304 it could trigger this.

@Mike:

Here's what MT said:
I have reviewed the support request that you listed. I can confirm that we are not using Varnish to cache your site. We do use Nginx to provide some level of caching but this should not cause errors with your CSS code. Typically CSS issues are going to be related to the site code itself rather than anything with the server configuration.

I've been able to reproduce it using a completely vanilla install; is there anything that might be causing it to do what he describes here: http://xenforo.com/c…g-css.56679/page-2#post-604085

One moment. I am checking a few things.

Okay thank you

I cannot find any indication that the server is malfunctioning or that this issue is related to caching. I would recommend enabling error logging on the server and checking the error logs to see if that gives any clues regarding this issue. It is a very strange issue.

Are you still there, Brent?

Yeah

Can you reproduce it on your side?

Visiting that site and control F5ing?

I can reproduce it, yes.

Well poop

Okay I will copy/paste this into that thread and see where we go from there.

You rated our customer service as good.

Is there anything else I can assist you with today?

Nope, thank you for your help I appreciate it

Thank you for contacting (mt) Media Temple. Have a nice day.

Operator has closed current chat session.

@Mike,

Server error logs are turning up nothing except:
Code:
[Mon Aug 05 13:01:21 2013] [error] [client 51.85.38.118] File does not exist: /home/XXXX/domains/curiouscosmos.com/html/favicon.ico

I added a damn favicon, still the same issues...

If you submit a ticket with FTP details, I can attempt to do some debugging, but given how sporadic it is, it's going to be a challenge.

I do note that they say they do some caching, so it's possible something is being triggered there that shouldn't be.

If you submit a ticket with FTP details, I can attempt to do some debugging, but given how sporadic it is, it's going to be a challenge.

I do note that they say they do some caching, so it's possible something is being triggered there that shouldn't be.

Mike, when Brentnauer opened his site, I was able to constantly duplicate it using Chromium.

Mike, when Brentnauer opened his site, I was able to constantly duplicate it using Chromium.

I decided to skip the shared hosting experience and hopped over to KnownHost SSD-3 with Litespeed... This problem coupled with a few instances of 503 errors, I'm not a fan of MediaTemple's Grid Service.

If the problem persists once I move over, @Mike, I'll send you some credentials and let you have at it :)

Has the problem persisted? Ultimately I thought it was resolved and then it came back with a vengeance. It seems there is no way to track it. I think its a problem with LiteSpeed, but I have no evidence to prove that, other than when you switch to Apache it never happens. What an annoyance. The site does run like 10x faster with LiteSpeed too, which is the sad part.

Has the problem persisted? Ultimately I thought it was resolved and then it came back with a vengeance. It seems there is no way to track it. I think its a problem with LiteSpeed, but I have no evidence to prove that, other than when you switch to Apache it never happens. What an annoyance. The site does run like 10x faster with LiteSpeed too, which is the sad part.
MediaTemple doesn't run Litespeed as far as I know.

I am really not sure if this is the same issue or not, but the result is the same: CSS is never loaded. I don't know why this is. My version of LiteSpeed is the latest, and it is using settings directly from Apache. The two binaries are interchangeable. I wonder what version of Apache and PHP you are on and if this has something to do with it. But I know for a fact, on my server, it is Litespeed, and some behavior that takes place which never generates an error message. Odd.

Have run the blasted thing now intermittently between apache and Litespeed, even going so far as to disable nearly all of Litespeed's "enhanced" features. The problem continues to occur. I'm not sure if I can rule out the opcache. It does slow things down to use apache by quite a bit. Although, it is not a terminal loss, it is quite the odd problem. I am at wit's end with it. I wish there was something I could contribute, but, in all honesty, I cannot see why the CSS would be cut off. Most annoying of all: This is a purchased license, which costs an enormous amount, and cannot really be abandoned. Somewhere a long the line, I feel confident the developers may find a solution.

Top Bottom