Signs of the Times - What will XF do ?

Please correct me if I'm wrong, but I think he's asking what is XF going to do to help keep people using forums as opposed to just using Facebook?

:)
When people want to discuss things with like-minded people, they participate in a forum. Facebook isn't a forum, XenForo is. Not much else to say about that. :confused:

Forum owners need to reassess the function of their community; there are tons of services that offer social networking, blogging, and image storing capabilities *but these are not your competitors* - online communities specialize in discussions on a particular topic. If your forum is providing valuable content and fruitful discourse on the subject, your forum will succeed.

I really think administrators are losing site of this, full software suites (Blog, gallery, CMS) won't keep users active in your forum. It's the productivity paradox applied to forums, features don't make a community, content is king!

I really think administrators are losing site of this, full software suites (Blog, gallery, CMS) won't keep users active in your forum. It's the productivity paradox applied to forums, features don't make a community, content is king!

No.

This is just a matter of the boards topic. For example i do have a board for a rollercoaster/themepark community. This is a very visual topic, and so the gallery is very important for us.

Pictures, articles in a CMS, Blogs etc. ARE content.

If your forum is providing valuable content and fruitful discourse on the subject, your forum will succeed.

Sure.

...features don't make a community, content is king!

Well... not entirely. Features don't make a community by itself, obviously the content is the most important thing. However, I have more then enough unique content on my site and still I am eagerly waiting to upgrade to XenForo or another state-of-the art package. Because I believe a package like XenForo with it's refreshingly modern UI and social functionalities can, no: will boost my user's activity and therefore boost my content. Additional Blogs do the same for the overal content. CMS will do even more. Sure, those last 2 won't do much for the content of my forums, but I need more then just forums.

Good sophisticated features are there to boost content. I can not wait for XenForo to offer a CMS (solution) and integrated Blogs and Gallery. How else can one switch from a fully featured vBulletin or Invision platform full of different content?

No.

This is just a matter of the boards topic. For example i do have a board for a rollercoaster/themepark community. This is a very visual topic, and so the gallery is very important for us.

Pictures, articles in a CMS, Blogs etc. ARE content.

You're missing my point, I am not talking about already developed communities.

If you are using such software as means to collate content in a pragmatic way and spur discussion, than way to go - excellent utilization of resources, but I would still argue these features, in at least the preliminary stages, are secondary to your community.

You can integrate Flickr and Wordpress just as effectively as complete addons.

I think that is what he was meaning.

To clarify :) ... Facebook is a young company that is just getting started ...

you may have already noticed that Facebook offers free hosting, free software, games, one click free upgrades and patches taken care of for you and no renewal fees ...

some may have also noticed that they have a discussion section and many forget that an ARMY of developers are waging war on their behalf ...

Now keep in mind that its very easy on FB for almost anybody to get the number of members XF has so far.

Question ... How long do you think most forums will be around for if they beef up their free discussion section tommorrow ? :)

To clarify :) ... Facebook is a young company that is just getting started ...

you may have already noticed that Facebook offers free hosting, free software, games, one click free upgrades and patches taken care of for you and no renewal fees ...

some may have also noticed that they have a discussion section and many forget that an ARMY of developers are waging war on their behalf ...

Now keep in mind that its very easy on FB for almost anybody to get the number of members XF has so far.

Question ... How long do you think most forums will be around for if they beef up their free discussion section tommorrow ? :)
How old and small do you think it is? Facebook started in 2004, and now has over 500 million members. It's well beyond "just getting started."

Top Bottom