Signs of the Times - What will XF do ?

I am running three boards.
And i prefer good, maybe entertaining?, discussions, with correct information and a nice atmosphere among the users.

What´s the point in having a lot of postings with a lot of words, when alle these postings are just trieing to explain what can be shown with a picture.

Do you need videos and pictures to have a discussion about theme parks in a bar? at a party? Why would an online social setting be any different?
Because when you're at a bar or a party, you can verbally explain what you're trying to get across. In a forum or online setting, it's much more difficult to quickly and effectively convey your message through text. If I can save 10 minutes of explaining through text (i.e. rambling) by taking 10 seconds to upload an image that gets the same point across, I'd much rather post the image.

Nowadays, people do use images and media to tell stories, share experiences, and converse. Everywhere I go, somebody's pulling out their iPhone to show someone else the latest "cool" thing (whether it be a picture from their vacation, Lady Gaga's newest hit, or a funny YouTube video).

Nowadays, people do use images and media to tell stories, share experiences, and converse. Everywhere I go, somebody's pulling out their iPhone to show someone else the latest "cool" thing (whether it be a picture from their vacation, Lady Gaga's newest hit, or a funny YouTube video).

Those media can start a conversation or help propel a conversation, but they are not "the conversation" -- a conversation is a dialogue between people through oral or written language.

This has been my point. I'm not against Blogs / CMS / and Galleries, as long as the forum owner has properly analyzed the consequences (both good and bad) of implementing these features and how it will effect the primary function of the forum, which is too discuss and share knowledge.

Twitter & Facebook are not competitors, they can never offer what your forum has the potential to offer: a tight-knit, incubated niche community.

This has been my point. I'm not against Blogs / CMS / and Galleries, as long as the forum owner has properly analyzed the consequences (both good and bad) of implementing these features and how it will effect the primary function of the forum, which is too discuss and share knowledge.

Yes, that's what I've been trying to say. While it's always nice to find a site with lots of information on a topic that interests me - pictures, wikis, blogs, whatever - I join a forum for the conversation. And it is increasingly difficult to find a forum that's focused on conversation. There are plenty of forums that I visit often for information that I'd never bother to join, because there's nothing left to talk about. Their content already covers it all.

Top Bottom