Show all child forum threads in parent forum?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Apodictive

I want to have all threads created in the child forums be shown in the parent forum below the below the child forum nodes. Basically an aggregate of all child forums showing in their parent forum. If it is possible (but not required), I don't want people posting in the actual parent forum section itself but just a list of all the topics from the child categories for members to access as if they are actually in the child forum itself.

I am basically looking for a feed from the child forums to be displayed in the parent forum.

I am not sure how to do this but I have seen several XF forums setup like this. Digital Point, Name Pros and several other forums seem have this type of feature.

I found an older add-on that will do this but just for one parent forum and not multiple and I need this for multiples.

Any help or if someone can point me to an add-on or useful information will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
It seems to.

Code:
Display threads from sub-forums and sub-forums of the sub-forums in the parent forum. Admin options.
When I was looking at it the problem seemed to be that it couldn't be done for multiple parent forums. I was looking into this several weeks back but I will take a look at it again and see if it will work.

Thanks for your help and prompt replies, I really appreciate it.

I am pretty new to the admin/owner side of XF so some basic things to many are just new to me.

I'll go check it out and give it a try now to see if it works.

Thanks again.

No problem, good luck :)

You could also use Thread Tags to "sort" information.
and there was a way of listing the tags that belonged to a certain forum and people could just click the tags it was pretty good. cant find it.

No problem, good luck :)

I just tried the "Cascading Thread Listings" and it does the same thing that the other one I tried does. It will do it for one parent forum only at a time. It would be great if it could be used for multiple parent forums and I am surprised that this wasn't incorporated into it but I don't know enough about programming to know if there is some kind of limitation.

Too bad I couldn't just duplicate the add-on, rename it and use it for another parent as a separate add-on. That would not be as simple but if it would work that's all that would matter. ;)

I guess I have to keep researching. I wish I know how other XF forums are doing it.

Thanks again for your help and time, I really appreciate it.

or with this forum structure ... what do you want ?

View attachment 141768
Basically what I want is for the posts that are made in the child forums like in the image below labeled "Child-forum a1, a2, etc." to be shown in their parent forum labeled below "Forum - A, etc."

I want to be able to do the same thing in other parent forums (show their child forum posts) around the site.

I am wanting to do this so that posts will actually be grouped into their child-forums so people can look at threads that are just that exact topic but they are visible from the parent forum without going into the child forum unless the user wants to. I was not really wanting the parent forum to be able to be posted in directly but still shows it's child forum posts.

Xenforo_Forum_Example_I_Need_For_Child_Forums.png

I am wanting something like how the "Recent Posts" tab shows all threads for all forums but I just want the child forums showing in the parent forum below the nodes (as well as the recent posts).

Please excuse me if my explanations are not the best, I am not sure exactly what the 100% proper way to word things technically is.

I really appreciate the time you have taken to help, thank you!

Last edited:
Uncheck the "Show sub-forums popup" box.

View attachment 141771
Thanks Andy. That's not what I was looking for but that is something I can use for another purpose.

What I am wanting is when you go into the parent forum, all child forum posts will be shown below the node list in the parent forum without having to go into the child forums except to post a thread or see all threads specific to that child. Something kind of like having the "Recent Threads" for the child forums show in the parent forum.

The "Cascading Thread Listings" and "Master Forums" add-on's do exactly what I need but they will only allow you to do this for one parent forum only. I want to do it to several parent forums. If these would do multiple parent then they would work.

This seems like it should be something easy but I don't know since my programming knowledge is very limited.

I appreciate your reply and value your input. :)

Hello @Apodictive ,

Although the functionality is toggled behind a button, I think this is similar to what you may be looking for:
https://xenforo.com/community/resources/th-forum-digest.4824/
Hello @Optic ,

Yes, that is similar to what I am looking for. I saw it a few days ago and was checking it out. If the function was able to be set by default instead of by the user then it might work for my needs. I am wanting the posts to be shown to all users by default.

It seems like this would be something that someone would have made an add-on for by now seeing how this would be very useful to lots of forum owners.

Thanks for your time and reply, I appreciate it. :)

There is actually one addon which does exactly what you want, but it is paid and the resource is unmaintained...

There is actually one addon which does exactly what you want, but it is paid and the resource is unmaintained...
Which one is it? I really don't care if it's paid or not as long as it does what I need and is reasonable as far as price.

Do you have a name or link?

Thanks for your reply and help. :)

Yes, that is similar to what I am looking for. I saw it a few days ago and was checking it out. If the function was able to be set by default instead of by the user then it might work for my needs. I am wanting the posts to be shown to all users by default.
I had a look at the Forum Digest add-on again and it does actually appear to have this option and you can hide the button to prevent toggling (if you look at the screenshots the option is there)

It seems I purchased it awhile ago so thought I'd give it a try again. On my community this is what it looks like when activated on a category which seems to work pretty well (as threads normally can't be posted or listed within categories):
https://animeforums.net/community/categories/anime-series-discussion.104/

Last edited:
I had a look at the Forum Digest add-on again and it does actually appear to have this option and you can hide the button to prevent toggling (if you look at the screenshots the option is there)

It seems I purchased it awhile ago so thought I'd give it a try again. On my community this is what it looks like when activated on a category which seems to work pretty well (as threads normally can't be posted or listed within categories):
https://animeforums.net/community/categories/anime-series-discussion.104/
Great, thank you!

Do you know if you can use it in multiple forums/categories as well? Meaning can I have it display a digest of the child forums of one category/forum in it and show the digest of the child forums of another category/forum in it as well. Two separate uses of this same add-on in separate categories/forums?

That was the problem with the other two add-ons I tried. They could only be used for one use/display.

I want to have say all the threads in category/forum child forums show in it's parent and the same thing in another to display just the threads of it's child forums in it.

Thank you once again for your help and taking the time to look into this, it's very much appreciated! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom