Shout Box / Chat

Mokeli

Ive noticed this has become a big deal , It would be alswome if there was a built in shout box , make it Ajax or something pro , it would still be nice. We have over 15 members online it would be nice if we could chat to spare time. Or There could be Shoutbox Mod addons . So we can edit it and make it more appealing with more features. And I think you should add a feature where you can take of the side bar and leave the stats at the bottom of the forums or make the forum text a little larger, Plus with description the forums would look bad.

Mokeli
Admin Junction Founder
Goodbless

Upvote 14
Ive noticed this has become a big deal , It would be alswome if there was a built in shout box , make it Ajax or something pro , it would still be nice. We have over 15 members online it would be nice if we could chat to spare time.

Mokeli
Admin Junction Founder
Goodbless
No no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no!!

No!

No no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no!!

No!

+

No!

I'm with Mark B. and vrtsolus... please not as an inbuilt function - an addon if you must but not as a default part of the software *shudders*

You don't even want to get me started on how much I detest shoutboxes :)

I've written a hosted chat service that I'll hopefully release shortly after XF has a release.
Thanks! I'll be quite interested in how that works.

Side note: Normally I don't care for chat/shout/whatever lines of communication for a number of reasons, but there is something about the ip.chat hosted service that seems to integrate really well into ip.board.

It still would be nice instead of waiting for someone to make it.

Shoutbox's are popular but also hatted by many... I think this would 100% be better as an add-on so those who are interested can add it. I would expect someone to create one very quickly.

Have you considered to try RealChat
It's like every other 3rd party application - it is, looks and acts like a 3rd party application.

I want a chat application that is fully integrated with my site so once users have logged in to my site they use chat with their registered username.
Additionally site moderators also have moderator capability in chat.

3rd party applications don't interest me.

I thought they were the same thing?
What's the difference?

IMO...
Chatbox is continually refreshing or uses special code to constantly look for new chats. (is where most of the NOOOOOs are coming from because it IS rough on a server)
Shoutbox is simply an "unregulated" scratch pad where users post short messages - but others must refresh the page to see new posts

I will stand up and say I have used/tried just about every chatbox there is (including off-site services).
They really do change the aspect of your forums and if you don't have a dedicated server, it is highly suggested not to have one (or you'll wind up with a suspended website soon)...

One suggestion for this (that has worked out best for me) is using a footer chat like wibiya... http://www.wibiya.com/
(you don't have the problem of hosting the chat script nor the problem of figuring out how to fit the chatbox into your forum layout).

However...
This IS a highly suggested addon at vb.org and any "chatbox" has tons of users and installs - so there is interest in the feature no matter how good or bad.

Top Bottom