1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Shout Box / Chat

Discussion in 'XenForo Suggestions' started by Mokeli, Aug 15, 2010.

1. Mokeli

Mokeli New Member

Ive noticed this has become a big deal , It would be alswome if there was a built in shout box , make it Ajax or something pro , it would still be nice. We have over 15 members online it would be nice if we could chat to spare time. Or There could be Shoutbox Mod addons . So we can edit it and make it more appealing with more features. And I think you should add a feature where you can take of the side bar and leave the stats at the bottom of the forums or make the forum text a little larger, Plus with description the forums would look bad.

Admin Junction Founder
    Dadparvar, jacko, zkaraca and 3 others like this.
  2. Brandon_R

Brandon_R Guest

The only scalable shoutbox i can think of is flash + sockets or java, an html + ajax shoutbox just isn't worth it. It's better as an addon also :)
  3. Mokeli

Mokeli New Member

It still would be nice instead of waiting for someone to make it.
  4. Jethro

Jethro Well-Known Member

Would agree, not all sites want a shoutbox so why have to turn off yet another option.

I would imagine someone will make a shoutbox pretty quickly :)
  5. Floren

Floren Well-Known Member

If you want to ruin your server performance, yes... use a shoutbox. :)
    I never understood the usability of such option/product.
  6. Shamil

Shamil Well-Known Member

I can't really ever see this being a standard feature. It can be a forum killer - but also, it becomes a mess to manage, once forum members start flaming and shouting.
  7. Spenser

Spenser Active Member

Shoutboxes are a threat to any database ;)
  8. Shelley

Shelley Well-Known Member

Definitely a feature that shouldn't be included into any core product and best suited as an add-on created by one of the community members. I feel the resources at hand are better spent on features that will be used by the masses.
  9. hcmagix

hcmagix Active Member

shoutbox is typical for an addon

10. Been Told

Been Told Well-Known Member

I agree. I use shoutboxes a lot, but I think the majority of forums don't have or need them.
  11. James

James Well-Known Member

I also think this is better suited as an addon.

It would be interesting to see a shoutbox made with HTML5's sockets...
  12. Peggy

Peggy Well-Known Member

This would most definitely be an add-on.
  13. KURTZ

KURTZ Well-Known Member

14. Brogan

Brogan XenForo Moderator Staff Member

The chat on my site is used extensively during live events.

Chat/shout boxes were created for a reason and they fulfil that role very well.
  15. Grover

Grover Well-Known Member

I can understand the use of a chatbox, but a shoutbox? I always get the feeling it's a nice gadget for 13-year olds and that's it. :rolleyes:
  16. Brogan

Brogan XenForo Moderator Staff Member

I thought they were the same thing?
    What's the difference?
  17. feldon30

feldon30 Well-Known Member

Dumb question, but this always seemed to be a "tail wagging the dog" implementation:
    • When a user users loads the Shoutbox, it hits the MySQL database. Number and frequency of queries goes up as number of viewers increases.
    Why isn't the Shoutbox coming from a file cache that is refreshed from the MySQL database on a fixed interval? Then you would have a fixed number and frequency of queries regardless of number of viewers.

As for chatting, find a friendly IRC network + free pjIRC web java client. Flash chat doesn't scale well, and other chat options are absurdly expensive.
  18. David Thomas

David Thomas Active Member

Should not be core, definitely. Even if it defaulted off, it would be a waste of file-storage and DB space, not to mention the developers' time, IMHO.

Going to sound like a broken record in this thread, but it should be an add-on.
  19. Scott

Scott Active Member

I've written a hosted chat service that I'll hopefully release shortly after XF has a release.
  20. Brandon_R

Brandon_R Guest

It really would be neat, and scalable too. Ill check into this. Thanks for posting