1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Should there be a "Technology" forum ? (in addition to the Off Topic?)

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Digital Doctor, Feb 3, 2011.

1. Digital Doctor

Digital Doctor Well-Known Member

Just thinking, some might not want to read off topic messages, but might be interested in how advancements in Technology relate to Xenforo.

tickedon likes this.
  2. Onimua

Onimua Well-Known Member

Well, if it related to XF, wouldn't it be appropriate to toss them in this forum? Or if it's for feature, putting it in one of the two existing forums for that?

3. turtile

turtile Well-Known Member

I think it would be a good idea to make it a sub-forum in Off-topic since many of the off-topic posts deal with technology.

4. Fred Sherman

Fred Sherman Well-Known Member

I agree. We've alreaady had threads about VPN, jquery, PHP, MySQL, and various hosting questions.

They aren't exactly off-topic, because they all relate, at least peripherally to hosting, running, modding or maintaining a site.

I think its a need and should be standalone, rather than a subforum. Just my opinon, your mileage may vary.

5. James

James Well-Known Member

If you're talking about this stuff in relation to XF, perhaps it comes under feedback (feedback as in "I'm running this server with this software and XF runs like this"). There's other sections like general support or development, resources, etc. where this stuff could go too.

I dunno, I'm in two minds. It's a company forum and the main focus should be on the company's product(s), not the off-topic sections!

Jethro likes this.
  6. Kim

Kim Well-Known Member

Tech forum would be good, not just for xenforo related tech, but all tech :)

'sides, keeps it out of Off Topic :p

7. Jethro

Jethro Well-Known Member

Good point James, guess we need to keep remembering that this is xenForo's support forums :)

8. James

James Well-Known Member

I do visit here more than any other forum (#1 on my chrome most visited - it's addictive okay?!) and the discussions are great (whether on or off-topic), but hey - the company has a reputation to uphold and I don't think they want people registering because the off-topic banter is good ;)

9. Kim

Kim Well-Known Member

LOL not sure about that... the whole place is about Communities.. what could be better than a thriving active fun community on a community software site ;)

10. dutchbb

dutchbb Well-Known Member

I'd by careful about adding new off topic sub-forums, it can quickly get out of hand. Probably only a good idea if there already is a very high demand for it.

11. Digital Doctor

Can we have a Technology Forum ?
    It would benefit the members.

12. Digital Doctor

13. oman

oman Well-Known Member

Why bump such an old thread?

Neal likes this.
  14. Digital Doctor

Because I wanted to know if others would like a forum to discuss web technologies.

15. MattW

MattW Well-Known Member

Like this: http://www.webhostingtalk.com/

another good one:
    http://lmgtfy.com/?q=prevent+highlighting+html

16. Shelley

Shelley Well-Known Member

Technology forum wouldn't that fall under "Off-Topic? Eitherway, not really fussed whether it has it's own forum or here in Off-Topic.

17. Biker

Biker Well-Known Member

Because he likes seeing his topics appear, whether they're appropriate or not.

Neal likes this.
  18. Luxus

Luxus Well-Known Member

How about technology prefix?

Vincent likes this.
  19. Neal

Neal Well-Known Member

How about keeping just this one forum for everything that doesn't relate to XenForo. Oh wait....

RastaLulz and Lycaon like this.
  20. Sheldon

Sheldon Well-Known Member

If he gets a "Technology" forum, I want a "Sports" forum... well, I want a "Health and Fitness" forum.... well, I want a "Sorcery" forum..... :rolleyes:

It would never end....

Neal and Kevin like this.