Should there be a "Technology" forum ? (in addition to the Off Topic?)

Well, if it related to XF, wouldn't it be appropriate to toss them in this forum? Or if it's for feature, putting it in one of the two existing forums for that?

I think it would be a good idea to make it a sub-forum in Off-topic since many of the off-topic posts deal with technology.

I agree. We've alreaady had threads about VPN, jquery, PHP, MySQL, and various hosting questions.

They aren't exactly off-topic, because they all relate, at least peripherally to hosting, running, modding or maintaining a site.

I think its a need and should be standalone, rather than a subforum. Just my opinon, your mileage may vary.

I agree. We've alreaady had threads about VPN, jquery, PHP, MySQL, and various hosting questions.

They aren't exactly off-topic, because they all relate, at least peripherally to hosting, running, modding or maintaining a site.

I think its a need and should be standalone, rather than a subforum. Just my opinon, your mileage may vary.
If you're talking about this stuff in relation to XF, perhaps it comes under feedback (feedback as in "I'm running this server with this software and XF runs like this"). There's other sections like general support or development, resources, etc. where this stuff could go too.

I dunno, I'm in two minds. It's a company forum and the main focus should be on the company's product(s), not the off-topic sections!

Tech forum would be good, not just for xenforo related tech, but all tech :)

'sides, keeps it out of Off Topic :p

If you're talking about this stuff in relation to XF, perhaps it comes under feedback (feedback as in "I'm running this server with this software and XF runs like this"). There's other sections like general support or development, resources, etc. where this stuff could go too.

I dunno, I'm in two minds. It's a company forum and the main focus should be on the company's product(s), not the off-topic sections!

Good point James, guess we need to keep remembering that this is xenForo's support forums :)

Good point James, guess we need to keep remembering that this is xenForo's support forums :)
I do visit here more than any other forum (#1 on my chrome most visited - it's addictive okay?!) and the discussions are great (whether on or off-topic), but hey - the company has a reputation to uphold and I don't think they want people registering because the off-topic banter is good ;)

I do visit here more than any other forum (#1 on my chrome most visited - it's addictive okay?!) and the discussions are great (whether on or off-topic), but hey - the company has a reputation to uphold and I don't think they want people registering because the off-topic banter is good ;)

LOL not sure about that... the whole place is about Communities.. what could be better than a thriving active fun community on a community software site ;)

I'd by careful about adding new off topic sub-forums, it can quickly get out of hand. Probably only a good idea if there already is a very high demand for it.

Because I wanted to know if others would like a forum to discuss web technologies.
Like this: http://www.webhostingtalk.com/

I have an example.
I want to know how this page prevents a user from highlighting text.
http://www.foodconsumer.org/newsite/Nutrition/Vitamins/vitamin_d_type_2_diabetes_0326130718.html
It's a web technology thing.

I think most people just put this type of discussion anywhere, like here.
another good one:
http://lmgtfy.com/?q=prevent+highlighting+html

Technology forum wouldn't that fall under "Off-Topic? Eitherway, not really fussed whether it has it's own forum or here in Off-Topic.

If he gets a "Technology" forum, I want a "Sports" forum... well, I want a "Health and Fitness" forum.... well, I want a "Sorcery" forum..... :rolleyes:

It would never end....

Top Bottom