XF 1.4 Should Moderators Be Added as the Primary Group or Secondary Group?

System0

I am adding a moderator to my forum. I have the option of adding the member as a moderator in his primary group or assigning him as a moderator via a secondary group.

What are the differences in these two options?

Are there any permissions that are added to someone added as a moderator in the primary group that the secondary group does not receive?

Kevin

Thanks for responding so quickly. I was not aware of that.

That tutorial says that even administrators should have the registered usergroup as their main usergroup.

So what is the purpose of the primary usergroup if it should not be used?

There is no real difference between primary and secondary groups in terms of permissions besides what base permissions you wish them to have.

This is making me rethink the whole way I have my forum set up.

Should I be downgrading my own account to registered and adding myself as an administrator via a secondary usergroup. Or is it stupid for me to even suggest this?

What is the benefit to doing this?

You don't have to set permissions over and over.

Set the permissions you want all your members to have in the Registered user group. Leave everything for other user groups set to Not Set (No), except for what you want them to have that members in Registered don't.

It isn't something you have to do, but using secondary user groups allows faster and easier management of permissions.

If you decide you want to revoke a specific permission after it's been set to allow for all users except administrators, instead of going into n user groups, you go into one (Registered) and revoke it, then into the secondary user group(s) you'd like to have it and allow it there. Plus what Paul just said. :)

It isn't something you have to do, but using secondary user groups allows faster and easier management of permissions.

If you decide you want to revoke a specific permission after it's been set to allow for all users except administrators, instead of going into n user groups, you go into one (Registered) and revoke it, then into the secondary user group(s) you'd like to have it and allow it there. Plus what Paul just said. :)

Thanks. Yes that does make more sense.

One thing I noticed is that when I assign a user as a moderator, their user title does not change. Their titles are still displayed as "Premium Member" and not "Moderating". I imagine this has to do with a hierarchy for titles being used.

I have:

• Registered usergroup with priority 0
  • Premium usergroup with priority 1
  • Moderators usergroup with priority 900
  • Administrators usergroup with priority 1,000
Despite this, registered users who have been assigned to the premium usergroup and to the moderator group are displaying the premium usergroup title. I rebuilt cache but nothing changed.

Rebuilt which cache? Rebuild the user information as that will recalculate display styling. If that doesn't change it, then that would probably indicate that there's something else awry.

I rebuilt user caches.

There is an option to:
Display user as staff
If selected, this user will be listed publicly as a staff member
Does that have to be selected?

Kevin

Top Bottom