XF 1.4 Should Moderators Be Added as the Primary Group or Secondary Group?

System0

I am adding a moderator to my forum. I have the option of adding the member as a moderator in his primary group or assigning him as a moderator via a secondary group.

What are the differences in these two options?

Are there any permissions that are added to someone added as a moderator in the primary group that the secondary group does not receive?

Kevin

Adding someone to a moderating group doesn't make them a moderator. They may have moderator permissions but they won't have access to some moderator functions such as the moderator bar.

To make someone a moderator, they have to be added to ACP > Users Moderators in the ACP. There you can assign global permissions for each user individually though the easier option is to do that through the moderating user group that you have already created.

https://xenforo.com/help/moderators/

Thanks Martok. Yeah I have assigned permissions separately. The issue is more to do with user titles.

Brogan is right about the display priority; however it does not seem to be working.

Make sure that the user groups that you want banners for have something entered in the User Banner Text box when you edit the group. If this is blank, the group won't have a banner.

This has been explicitly discussing user titles so I assume we're not actually talking about user banners, as there is a distinction in behavior (in of what happens when nothing is specified).

This has been explicitly discussing user titles so I assume we're not actually talking about user banners, as there is a distinction in behavior (in of what happens when nothing is specified).
Apologies, I misread what the OP was referring to. However, if the site he is talking about is the one via the site linked in his signature then that has a Premium user banner and also has Moderator user titles. Hopefully the OP can clarify further.

Thanks again for your help.

To clarify the issue, look at the image below. The part that says "Premium Member" should say "Moderating" or "Staff". This part has not changed for members who are both premium members and moderators (i.e. part of both user groups).

user-banner.webp

p.s. I am going on holiday today but will respond next week if there are any replies :)

As Mike already said, that is a banner, not a title.

There are separate options related to banners and they need to be defined for each case (other than staff).

The part that says Premium Member is a user banner. The text above that which says Moderator is a user title.

For the Staff banner, if you have added someone as a moderator in ACP > Users > Moderators they should get that banner provided you have "Show Staff Banner" ticked in ACP > Options > User Options. In addition, if Allow Banner stacking is disabled, you will need to have "Show Staff and Group Banner" ticked if you want both a Staff banner and the Premium Banner.

For the other banners not showing as expected, see my previous post.

Thanks for clarifying this issue.

The only downside to this is that it displays a banner for both the moderating user group and the upgraded user group. There is not an option to remove the banner from the upgraded user group.

Top Bottom