Should I start again from scratch?

isaacl

I've been working on setting up a forum for a while, but I haven't had the time yet to focus on it, and it's still not up and running.
I initially went through and installed a bunch of addons, and made a few changes/modifications that I saved as addons, but I haven't done much more.
At this point, I'm going to wait until 1.5 is out before continuing on the setup anyway, but I'm trying to decide if I should just continue with my current forum, or if I should start over from scratch with a new 1.5 installation, and reinstall whatever addons I need.
There are definitely addons that I no longer need, especially with the new features in XF 1.5, but I'm trying to figure out if there's any advantage to starting over, or if just removing the unnecessary addons and their files will do the same thing for me.
Any recommendations?
Thanks a lot!

Erm, upgrade to the beta and start it now? The staff normally release pretty solid beta versions, and if your site hasn't really started you have nothing to lose if things go wrong.

The beta hadn't come out when I first posted this, but the question was more along the lines of if I should be starting over from scratch, with no add-ons and a clean database, or if I should just go forward with the site I have now...

If it is just plain, no posts and such and you have just been testing things and do not want the modifications then just go from scratch. If you have stuff you want to keep then just clean up the FTP/Forum/Database.

Does removing add-ons leave behind any "residue"? Are they supposed to remove any database modifications when they're uninstalled?
And are there any recommended methods for cleaning everything up, especially from old add-ons?
Thanks.

When you uninstall an add-on you will want to go into your files (such as via FTP or cPanel) and remove the folders/single files it adds.

As for the database I believe it removes entries (if coded right?) but you are better waiting for someone else to answer that.

Yep, I've tried to remove the folders/files an add-on creates when I uninstall it, just wish there was some easy way of comparing what's there with what each add-on needs. to see if there's anything that I missed.
Thanks for the info!

I uninstall it, just wish there was some easy way of comparing what's there with what each add-on needs. to see if there's anything that I missed.
Thanks for the info!
Just download the add-on again onto your computer (if you haven't kept a copy), unzip it and look at the files and folders it contains that you would have uploaded to your site. That's the easiest way to know what to delete when you uninstall an add-on.

Good idea - thanks!
Any other recommendations about the general question, if there's any real reason to start from scratch?

I think it depends on what you hope to accomplish. IF you start from scratch you will be able to show a clean brand new forum but you will have to install new add-on's that you do need instead of getting rid of ones that you don't need. It's really up to you and if you wish to start over.

Top Bottom