Should I be suspicious of something.

jonsidneyb

I received an email telling me they registered yesterday and was unable to post.

I saw they never replied to the e-mail, I went ahead and activated the user id then sent them an email.

The email address was a yahoo email address.

I left out the email address but this is what I got back as an immediate reply.

Technical details of permanent failure:
Google tried to deliver your message, but it was rejected by the recipient domain. We recommend contacting the other email provider for further information about the cause of this error. The error that the other server returned was: 554 554 delivery error: dd This user doesn't have a yahoo.com
account

This all seems strange to me.

I received an email telling me they registered yesterday and was unable to post.

I saw they never replied to the e-mail, I went ahead and activated the user id then sent them an email.

Google tried to deliver your message, but it was rejected by the recipient domain. We recommend contacting the other email provider for further information about the cause of this error. The error that the other server returned was: 554 554 delivery error: dd This user doesn't have a yahoo.com
account

And they are saying they got that error on your xenforo forum? I would say it seems suspicious, looks like they are claiming a fake error. You should deactivate their account.

account

I can register on your forum as:
whynot
why12345not@yahoo.com

I cannot receive the activation email because my active address is anything12345@yahoo.com

I write an email to you from anything12345@yahoo.com with a fake address :why12345not@yahoo.com

Common practice,spammers use it.
I don't know how do they do it.

In your case it can be only a mistake from the sender.
The reply to address is wrong.

Check the full header of that bounced email.

I did, it is odd that I replied to the email they sent me. I don't see anything odd in the header.

It isn't hard to cloak an email address... they are pulling your leg and going to spam you.

The most basic is something as simple as http://www.emailcloaker.com

You can download software to cloak any address from your system, then route that via proxies, then through more proxies, bounce it round some more... very difficult to catch, especially if all done from a wi-fi connection at a McDonalds or such....

I tend to have the approach on this of saying something along these lines:

Hi there,
Sorry you seem to be experiencing problems with the validation procedure. Please reply to this email to verify your email address and I will activate your account manually.

Kind Regards,
Marc

If they dont reply, I dont activate. Simple as that.

I send out an email the third week of the month to any accounts which haven't been activated for over 1 month.

If they're still inactive at the end of the month they get deleted.

That's why I want a mod that disallows registrations from certain domains, including all web based email, mail.ru and stuff like that. Lot less hassle. Most everyone who accesses the Internet in the developed world has some ISP and an address through them. Once they are registered they can go ahead and change their email to whatever they want.

Top Bottom