1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Should I be suspicious of something.

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by jonsidneyb, Jun 18, 2011.

1. jonsidneyb

jonsidneyb Well-Known Member

I received an email telling me they registered yesterday and was unable to post.

I saw they never replied to the e-mail, I went ahead and activated the user id then sent them an email.

The email address was a yahoo email address.

I left out the email address but this is what I got back as an immediate reply.

Technical details of permanent failure:
    Google tried to deliver your message, but it was rejected by the recipient domain. We recommend contacting the other email provider for further information about the cause of this error. The error that the other server returned was: 554 554 delivery error: dd This user doesn't have a yahoo.com
    account

This all seems strange to me.

2. Kaiser

Kaiser Well-Known Member

And they are saying they got that error on your xenforo forum? I would say it seems suspicious, looks like they are claiming a fake error. You should deactivate their account.

3. whynot

whynot Well-Known Member

I can register on your forum as:
    whynot
    why12345not@yahoo.com

I cannot receive the activation email because my active address is anything12345@yahoo.com

I write an email to you from anything12345@yahoo.com with a fake address :why12345not@yahoo.com

4. jonsidneyb

5. whynot

whynot Well-Known Member

Common practice,spammers use it.
    I don't know how do they do it.

In your case it can be only a mistake from the sender.
    The reply to address is wrong.

Check the full header(s) of that(those) bounced email(s).

6. jonsidneyb

I did, it is odd that I replied to the email they sent me. I don't see anything odd in the header.

7. Anthony Parsons

Anthony Parsons Well-Known Member

It isn't hard to cloak an email address... they are pulling your leg and going to spam you.

The most basic is something as simple as http://www.emailcloaker.com

You can download software to cloak any address from your system, then route that via proxies, then through more proxies, bounce it round some more... very difficult to catch, especially if all done from a wi-fi connection at a McDonalds or such....

8. Marc

Marc Well-Known Member

I tend to have the approach on this of saying something along these lines:

If they dont reply, I dont activate. Simple as that.

9. Brogan

Brogan XenForo Moderator Staff Member

I send out an email the third week of the month to any accounts which haven't been activated for over 1 month.

If they're still inactive at the end of the month they get deleted.

Anthony Parsons likes this.
  10. Anthony Parsons

Anthony Parsons Well-Known Member

I use Jaxels mod that auto deletes inactive registrations.... takes all the hassle out.

DroidHost likes this.
  11. Marc

Marc Well-Known Member

I do the same LOL .... Invaluable addon IMO

12. User

User Well-Known Member

That's why I want a mod that disallows registrations from certain domains, including all web based email, mail.ru and stuff like that. Lot less hassle. Most everyone who accesses the Internet in the developed world has some ISP and an address through them. Once they are registered they can go ahead and change their email to whatever they want.

13. jonsidneyb

Thanks everyone.