XF 1.3 Should I always upgrade?

Tim Jay

I have used vbulletin 3.8.x for some years and I have been working on the xenforo version test site for a few weeks now. I got pretty used to not ever having to upgrade.

I have heard so many good things about xenforo in general about being a breeze & efficient all around. Just when I think I've got things ready to go I decide to upgrade. I run into the ole outdated template message for the 'navigation' template. So hey, what could go wrong with reverting it.

I'm using audentio UI.X + Quark. and now the navigation bar is being all funky. The theme settings don't seem to apply anymore and the search disappeared.

I guess in the future I should only upgrade once the 3rd party theme developer has also made an update?

Do big forums like digitalpoint upgrade consistently or do they wait for the bigger point versions?

I update at every release but I do wait a few days until any addon or style quirks are discussed and/or worked out.

Also, I tend to 'merge' rather than 'revert' any outdated templates. I've not had a problem following this 'always update but be cautious' scheme

You should only upgrade once any third party add-ons and styles you use have been updated to work with the latest release.
We always recommend that you run the latest version of XenForo.

Fair enough, I just hope add-ons aren't quickly outdated in the future. It's gonna be a nuisance if a very important add-on suddenly stops working after an upgrade.

Thanks for the quick replies.

I update at every release but I do wait a few days until any addon or style quirks are discussed and/or worked out.
Also, I tend to 'merge' rather than 'revert' any outdated templates. I've not had a problem following this 'always update but be cautious' scheme

I tried to merge multiple times but it never worked. I tried the 3 options that were showing up (merge into parent, both, or current - something like that) and nothing worked so I had revert.

_

Once I take xenforo live, I'll be sure to have a test setup to test any upgrades.

Last edited:
Minor releases (1.3.3 -> 1.3.4) rarely break add-ons for he most part. 1.3 -> 1.4 has a greater likelyhood of causing add-on issues.

Styles constantly need updated to be new version (for bug fixes in HTML).

Top Bottom