1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

XF 1.3 Should I always upgrade?

Discussion in 'Installation, Upgrade, and Import Support' started by Tim Jay, Jul 19, 2014.

1. Tim Jay

Tim Jay Active Member

I have used vbulletin 3.8.x for some years and I have been working on the xenforo version test site for a few weeks now. I got pretty used to not ever having to upgrade.

I have heard so many good things about xenforo in general about being a breeze & efficient all around. Just when I think I've got things ready to go I decide to upgrade. I run into the ole outdated template message for the 'navigation' template. So hey, what could go wrong with reverting it.

I'm using audentio UI.X + Quark. and now the navigation bar is being all funky. The theme settings don't seem to apply anymore and the search disappeared.

I guess in the future I should only upgrade once the 3rd party theme developer has also made an update?

Do big forums like digitalpoint upgrade consistently or do they wait for the bigger point versions?

2. Brogan

Brogan XenForo Moderator Staff Member

You should only upgrade once any third party add-ons and styles you use have been updated to work with the latest release.

We always recommend that you run the latest version of XenForo.

Tim Jay and Amaury like this.
  3. melbo

melbo Well-Known Member

I update at every release but I do wait a few days until any addon or style quirks are discussed and/or worked out.

Also, I tend to 'merge' rather than 'revert' any outdated templates. I've not had a problem following this 'always update but be cautious' scheme

Tim Jay and dawg like this.
  4. Tim Jay

Tim Jay Active Member

Fair enough, I just hope add-ons aren't quickly outdated in the future. It's gonna be a nuisance if a very important add-on suddenly stops working after an upgrade.

Thanks for the quick replies.

I tried to merge multiple times but it never worked. I tried the 3 options that were showing up (merge into parent, both, or current - something like that) and nothing worked so I had revert.

_

Once I take xenforo live, I'll be sure to have a test setup to test any upgrades.

Last edited: Jul 19, 2014
  5. Jeremy

Jeremy XenForo Moderator Staff Member

Minor releases (1.3.3 -> 1.3.4) rarely break add-ons for he most part. 1.3 -> 1.4 has a greater likelyhood of causing add-on issues.

Styles constantly need updated to be new version (for bug fixes in HTML).

wedgar and Tim Jay like this.