Should forum be in root for better SEO?

actionmedia

I finally bought XF and XF Media, as I'll be converting a 15+ year old forum over to XF! I've been using IPB since they first came out, however I'm just not happy with the many SEO issues I have.

As I think about how to go live with XF, I want to be sure I do it right. Currently, my forums reside in domain/forums. Is it better to have the forum in the root directory instead?

Thank you.

Where you put your forum depends totally on the structure of your website. Do you need a custom homepage? If yes, it'd be advisable to put your forum in a subdirectory or subdomain. In my opinion, Google's evolved a lot in the recent years and the structure of URLs doesn't matter. I've observed that high quality and fresh content trumps most of the other factors.

But one thing I'd strongly recommend is that once you setup your forum; NEVER change the URL structure. Google absolutely hates it.

I'd like to keep the root reserved for a homepage, as I use wordpress today. Is there a portal or way to create content rich articles with XF?

I'd like to keep the root reserved for a homepage, as I use wordpress today. Is there a portal or way to create content rich articles with XF?
There are third party addons which you can use - XenPorta 2 PRO for example. There's one by Brogan called "CTA Featured Threads and Portal". But you will be restricted by XF's post editor to compose your articles.

But one thing I'd strongly recommend is that once you setup your forum; NEVER change the URL structure. Google absolutely hates it.

It's not so bad, I've changed domain and url structure all at once with only a very minor effect on ranking.

It's not so bad, I've changed domain and url structure all at once with only a very minor effect on ranking.
True. In fact, I've changed our URL structure twice. The problem I've experienced is that you cannot really tell how will Google react. If you setup 301s properly and Google's nice to you - you're all okay. But having been through several ups and downs in the past decade, my advice would be to decide what the site's structure is going to be like and then don't touch the URLs. :)

I haven't touched the url structure in 15 years. It's always been /forums. I think I will keep the root open for a portal and make the forums /forum (singular). Thanks for all of the advice!

Hello,

I run vb4.x + vbseo and have it in domainName.com/forums. Now am thinking of switching to Xenforo and have two options for forums set up:

#1 - Same as existing - domainName.com /forums
#2 - Sub domain - forums.domainName.com

Which do you think is the best and plausible option from SEO perspective and in setting redirects? Thanks in advance.

Top Bottom