Shoryuken Moves From Xenforo to Vanilla Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.
That looks like something from last century. So much junk on pages with high contrast, it makes it hard to find actual post content.

Whoever has designed that should be fired.

edit: tables for forums list, div + div + div + .... + div for everything else (and spans on occasion). That's just horrible. Have they heard of other HTML tags?

I logged-in today, first time in a long time. The forum used to be much more organized. I was like wtf is this....

I don't even know what to say...

So it took some digging, but here's the closest thing to an official line on why they changed I found:

Q: Why did the forums change?
A: The servers that SRK had been hosted on for years could no longer handle the load from all the traffic we were getting. The people who made Xenforo have been in legal troubles since 2010 and the development cycles have gotten shaky. Vanilla Forums handles both the forum hosting AND the software, so it's a pretty good value. This is just an educated guess, though, as I'm just a moderator trying to field all the complaints/questions/etc so the admins can work all the kinks out without being interrupted.
Link to source

I can kinda get why they'd want to switch to a hosted service so they don't have to pay for bandwidth anymore, but... yeah, they relaunched too early and with too much broken from what I see.

Fortunately the Administrator/s of that site seem to have a pretty relaxed member base.. My members would have skinned me alive.

Wow how do you tell the the post and threads page are terrible! Everything that's large and bold is irrelevant to what I wanted to read when I clicked the thread title lol. Poorly designed. Needs more work! Hopefully they get that back up the right way.

Front page looks complicated to say the least...

It's so messy :confused: Luckily this is the first time I have ever seen this site (wonder why this design), otherwise I will feel crazy to look at the before and after.

Wow how do you tell the the post and threads page are terrible! Everything that's large and bold is irrelevant to what I wanted to read when I clicked the thread title lol. Poorly designed. Needs more work! Hopefully they get that back up the right way.

Front page looks complicated to say the least...
It's been like this for the past two weeks.

Threads are very confusing to read, there's no borders/defined edges to posts, it's almost like they bleed into each other

And when I scroll down using the mouse wheel, it lags like crazy on my system

It's one of those situations where the phrase "If it ain't broke, don't fix it" springs to mind.

Just goes to show that beauty is in the eye of the beholder; there are a few things about it I do like. I like the really small avatar (their users don't, but then if you're used to a massive avatar it would be a shock!) since this reduces postbit space even more to focus on content not stats. I like the simplified flags under each post (off topic, agree, disagree, like) plus the mini-avatars of each post rater. I like the general style, light and easy on the eye.

I don't know anything about the platform, but reading the user comments it looks to have been a big step backwards in terms of features. I think that is their mistake rather than the style - you take away features from your community at your peril.

Like many here I can't understand their reasons for moving. It is simply wrong to suggest that a large forum is unstable on Xenforo since there are so many that run fine. Surely they just needed to sort out better hosting and with Mike Edge amongst others seemingly offering blazingly fast hosting for peanuts why change to Vanilla? Seriously looking at their pricing, to get daily backups and just 300k page views a month (which is nothing in forum terms, as each single visitor can create hundreds a day!) it's $149 a month - you could get some amazing hosting for that with money left over. Sadly (for Xenforo) I think this is yet another casualty of people getting a bit concerned with the legal case and lack of updates, it seems to be the straw that is breaking the camel's back in some cases.

^ Not sure if I'm getting confused with this platform/pricing, there seems to also be an open source version?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom