XF 2.2 Setting up email

Alvin63

I'm a beginner at this. Just set up my XenForo site yesterday. Only to find that email isn't working. New users don't get an activation email. If sending to the "contact us" link at the bottom it doesn't get delivered anywhere (either to the forum or my email address).

So all I know is - under Setup - options - email. Everything is ticked as default. And it's PHP. The email address is my personal email (signed up as Administrator with that email) with is with outlook.com.

I have email set up with the server as part of my website with the email address admin@mywebsite...

But nothing seems connected. Do I need to change the email settings from my personal email to the domain email address set with the server? And what else do I need to do to make it work please? Also, with the "contact us" form - where does the message go? Directly to the forum as a "message" or directly to my email (neither is happening at the moment).

Ok so I did the outbound email test to my host email admin@website..........and that worked -the email was in the inbox on the host site. So I guess I need to change the email address to that in email settings (doing a test email to my personal account still doesn't work).

Thing is though I don't really want to keep having to sign into the server account to see what emails have been sent to the forum! Is there any way I can have them forwarded somewhere else?

I keep losing my way around the admin panel now. I think I have now changed everything to the new email address linked to the server. But I can't find the section where you opt to send activation emails - I need to check what is set there.

Ok found it. So email activation is turned on and so is moderator manual activation. I've had two new members try to join. Neither got an activation email because email wasn't set up then. One I got joined because moderator pop up came up to manually activate despite no activation email. But the other one no mod pop came and they can't do anything on the site as no activation email. Under their profile the status is "awaiting activation email".

Last edited:
But the other one no mod pop came and they can't do anything on the site as no activation email. Under their profile the status is "awaiting activation email".
You can manually go in under their user state and change it to valid, then they will bypass the email activation process.

Another email issue! Now my site is up and running and a new member joined, they replied to the welcome message and their response went to my personal email, not the website email. I guess that's because they replied to me as a person - the Admin. However when I look at the list of users, personal email addresses are shown next to them. Now I guess I can see them because I am admin. But can moderators also see everyone's personal email addresses? If so I'd like to change mine to the website email address.

So would that work? If I changed my personal email to the website email address? Or would that confuse things? Also my personal email is the one used to sign up with the server and with Xenforo so I am wondering if that might jinx my install if I change my personal email.

Anyone that replies to a welcome message you will get an email that is associated with your user account, not your website. Which is what it should be.

As far as who can see email addresses, it depends on how you set the permissions. I don't think moderators can but if an admin has the right permissions they can. I can't see them on a forum i'm a regular admin on but can on my own forum, where i'm a superadmin

Thanks. I didn't see anything in permissions about viewing emails under the moderator permissions though. Speaking of Superadmin - I have heard about that and about Supermoderators, but on my forum the only categories there are Admin, Moderators, Registered, Unregistered.

Superadmins are just admins with all permissions enabled. Admins have some disabled. And just like supermoderators and moderators, supermoderators have more permissions then moderators. Sometimes Moderators only moderate certain sections while supermods can moderate all sections. But it all depends on how you have permissions, usergroups, user banners as far as how they are labeled.

Top Bottom