1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

XF 1.4 Set up SMTP in sent items

Discussion in 'XenForo Questions and Support' started by flowerpot132, Aug 28, 2015.

1. flowerpot132

flowerpot132 Formerly mugtree

So I would like to see messages between members of our forum. As a test exercise for a new forum.

A solution was suggested to set up SMTP through my gmail, and then I would see any private conversation messages between members show up in my sent items. Would this work? I'm struggling to get it to.

Attached Files:

2. Mike

Mike XenForo Developer Staff Member

Just focusing on the SMTP question, what errors are you receiving?
  3. flowerpot132

Well it didn't work in my gmail sent items. But didn't think it would? Should they just appear in there?

The error message was:
    Email to (my email address) failed: 5.7.8 Username and Password not accepted. Learn more at 5.7.8 Can’t sign in to my email app - Gmail Helpja8sm27377895wjb.13 - gsmtp -

We google apps for bussiness. So my email address isn't gmail, but that shouldn't matter. I use our domain name email to login into gmail still.
  4. Mike

5. flowerpot132

Yeah they are definitely correct. But could try again. If accepted, then they appear in Sent Mail right?
  6. Mike

If accepted, you won't see an error related to the send. I couldn't comment on how they would actually show up in Gmail.

Looking at your screenshot, your username looks too short to be a full email address (which is what is specified on that Gmail help page).
  7. flowerpot132

Ok thanks Mike. Will give google apps a call.