Browser issue [ServiceWorker?] Network protocol violation on private message on XF Community

mazzly

Affected version
2.2 ?
I sent a PM yesterday. Directly after sending it I got a "network error". I didn't think much more of it at the time...

Today I got a response to that conversation, and I can't open it? :D

Tried with 2 different computers on both FF and Chrome:

FF error looks like:
1610712676044.webp

Cheers!

Update: Flushing Service worker allows me to load the page...

After that if I refresh the page, I get the same error...

It also seems that after flushing SW and opening that convo, I can't reply to it..

Okay, so it seems this is related to uBlock Origin reacting to something in the content of that page 🤔
disabling it makes it work without problems..

So I guess this one can be marked as "solved"

Is "omitted text" the title of that conversation, or did you change it? I'm guessing the latter and the conversation title actually has something to do with advertising in the text.

Unfortunately, there isn't too much more we can reasonably do about this. This is an issue with ad blockers and, to a degree, how they interpret fetches from service workers. uBO in particular always treats them as "ajax" requests and can't distinguish a top-level navigation and thus it applies some more aggressive rules. (In Chrome at least, I'm pretty sure that the JS does know whether it's a top-level navigation, I'm not sure whether uBO could react to this.)

We actually have a couple rules where we bypass the service worker-based fetch if the URL contains specific keywords (to avoid various SW-related browser quirks), including a couple of ad blocker ones, but expanding this net wider also starts to defeat the purpose of using a service worker (and could invalidate the PWA installability checks, as Google has suggested they are going to tighten these validations in the future).

Is "omitted text" the title of that conversation, or did you change it? I'm guessing the latter and the conversation title actually has something to do with advertising in the text.

Unfortunately, there isn't too much more we can reasonably do about this. This is an issue with ad blockers and, to a degree, how they interpret fetches from service workers. uBO in particular always treats them as "ajax" requests and can't distinguish a top-level navigation and thus it applies some more aggressive rules. (In Chrome at least, I'm pretty sure that the JS does know whether it's a top-level navigation, I'm not sure whether uBO could react to this.)

We actually have a couple rules where we bypass the service worker-based fetch if the URL contains specific keywords (to avoid various SW-related browser quirks), including a couple of ad blocker ones, but expanding this net wider also starts to defeat the purpose of using a service worker (and could invalidate the PWA installability checks, as Google has suggested they are going to tighten these validations in the future).
yes the URL slug contained "amp-auto-ads" as we were discussing that :)

I agree this is not really a problem with XF itself, but "user error" :D

Anyway I guess someone else searching for similar problem in future might find this thread :)

Top Bottom