1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Server optimization after migration from vB

Discussion in 'Server Configuration and Hosting' started by drifter4ever, Dec 9, 2013.

1. drifter4ever

drifter4ever Member

I migrated from vBulletin 4 (+ vBSEO) recently and would like to ask which settings I should change, because my server settings were optimized for vBulletin.

My forum has on average 1100 users online with 60 minutes cookie timeout (maximum 2200 users) and 1.3M posts.

Server (dedicated):

- Intel® Core™ i7-2600 Quad Core with HT 3.40GHz (8 cores total)
    - 16GB DDR3 RAM
    - 2 x 3TB SATA 6GB/s 7200 rpm (Software-RAID 1)
    - CentOS 6.5 x86_64
    - Apache/2.2.25
    - PHP 5.3.27
    - MySQL 5.1.70-cll
    - phpinfo: http://www.matkapuhelinfoorumi.fi/phpinfo.php

Optimized settings for vBulletin:

2. MattW

MattW Well-Known Member

Allocate more memory to InnoDB buffer pool. You currently have 512MB

1.3M posts must have a DB well over 1GB, so allocate as much as possible to the buffer (at least a couple of GB)
    drifter4ever likes this.
  3. SiteOwner

SiteOwner Member

MySQL recommends key_buffer_size value to be 25% of the total available RAM on a machine.
    25% of 16GB RAM is 4GB. You have 640 mega bytes which is conservative, but if you have a lot off traffic which needs memory as well go up to 3GB. But not lower than that.
  4. LPH

LPH Well-Known Member

The first thing I'd recommend is to get off Apache. Check out NGINX or LiteSpeed. The differences are amazing.

The second thing is to run mysqltuner after the site has been running for several days.

Here is a graph to show what I mean. Can you see when a change was made to the my.cnf? ;)

5. Mouth

Mouth Well-Known Member

key_buffer_size is for MyISAM tables. Since XF uses by default, and recommends, INNODB this setting will have little, if any, affect.
    trizz and LPH like this.