1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Server Load VB > XF & Joomla - Proof Is Everything

Discussion in 'General XenForo Discussion and Feedback' started by Anthony Parsons, Nov 16, 2010.

1. Anthony Parsons

Anthony Parsons Well-Known Member

I changed out today from my last VB site to XF, using Joomla as the CMS. You can clearly see when VB4 was running, the few hours of upgrade spikes, then for the last hour nearly of the snapshots you can see the load take back up.

When I took these snaps I had around 300 back online again, average is around 400 online. Even that 100 extra isn't going to make much of a difference, as the load barely moved from when users began coming online to the end of 30 minutes of it being open with 300 already back on.

What I knew before I changed? That my server costs would be much, much lower. If I kept going with VB4 I had to upgrade again to a dedicated vs. a hybrid solution. I changed over to a more resources recently, and VB4 pretty much sucked up everything immediately, as it was extremely slow on the ServInt Ultimate VPS... so instead of upgrading further, I knew the change would seriously reduce the load... and my expectations weren't wrong.

Proof is in the pudding! An XF endorsement for savings if I could ever give one... Server costs!

vb - xf server 1.JPG

vb - xf server 2.JPG

vb - xf server 3.JPG

The mysql change just blew me away... again, I expected it, and XF didn't let me down.

Now fully converted all my own sites to XF and couldn't be happier!

2. SchmitzIT

SchmitzIT Well-Known Member

That's some amazing results. Congratulations, and indeed a darn nice feather up the you-know-where for the XF team :)

3. MGSteve

MGSteve Well-Known Member

wow, that is damn good evidence, nice one! Bodes well for when I move my site over :)

4. Ingenious

Ingenious Well-Known Member

Very interesting and useful info, thanks.

And look at the difference in MySQL queries before and after!! It barely registers after the upgrade compared to before it.

5. dutchbb

dutchbb Well-Known Member

What a result, didn't expect it to be that big of a difference :)

6. dono

dono Member

nice info.. hmm I will test to my forum later like 20k-40k users at once.. or if xenforo admin want to trying to big forum, with my pleasure to help and testing in multiple server and database.

7. kuyenmotdivad

kuyenmotdivad Active Member

Good results for XF and another kick in the nuts for vB..... :)

ManagerJosh and nestor718 like this.
  8. anotheralias

anotheralias Well-Known Member

Wow! You could just about use that as a commercial.

9. Grover

Grover Well-Known Member

It is not only fantastic to see these results... seeing you -as one of vBulletin 4 'defenders' :)- drop that platform now:

... is also a nice thing to see ;).

Thank you for these statistics: really great to see what XF can do for us.

Anthony Parsons likes this.
  10. Jerry

Jerry Well-Known Member

Nice, can't argue with that.

11. TNCclubman

TNCclubman Well-Known Member

Astonishing, this is the clencher as to knowing I made a great decision going xf from now on.

12. WoodiE

WoodiE Well-Known Member

I think we all know and understand that vBulletin is a HOG when it comes to resources, though I'd be interested in seeing a same kind of test of vBulletin 3.8.x vs XF.

13. hellreturn

hellreturn Active Member

Can you please link us to your converted site? Would like to see if you don't mind!

Thanks for the info!

14. wii

wii Active Member

WOW, that is cool, I guess that in real life use XenForo does feel much faster too, right?
    I still only have XenForo on a small site, can't tell much difference really....

15. Dean

Dean Well-Known Member

And now all you need is a graph of the number of posts/time period going up about the same time you switched to xf. :)

Anthony Parsons likes this.
  16. Kier

Kier XenForo Developer Staff Member

Great results there, Anthony. Thanks for posting!

Floris likes this.
  17. el canadiano

el canadiano Active Member

Hats off, Kier and Mike. You guys obviously know what you're doing.

Cobro and Fusion like this.
  18. Jerry

Jerry Well-Known Member

I've always thought less is more and we should always do less better ;)

Rudy, EQnoble and Peggy like this.
  19. Puntocom

Puntocom Well-Known Member

Nice! I can't wait to buy another license and move my actual vB4 site to XF :)

20. MentaL

MentaL Active Member

congratulations.