1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

XF 1.2 Server Error: Zend_Mail_Protocol_Exception: Incorrect authentication data

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting and Problems' started by Live Free, Sep 20, 2013.

1. Live Free

Live Free Active Member

Recieving many of these in the past few days. Possibly tied into the random server errors my members are seeing when trying post/PM/post images (prevents them from doing so):

Code:
    Error Info
    Zend_Mail_Protocol_Exception: Incorrect authentication data - library/Zend/Mail/Protocol/Abstract.php:431
    Generated By: Unknown Account, 34 minutes ago
    Stack Trace
    #0 /home/admin/public_html/library/Zend/Mail/Protocol/Smtp/Auth/Login.php(95): Zend_Mail_Protocol_Abstract->_expect(235)
    #1 /home/admin/public_html/library/Zend/Mail/Protocol/Smtp.php(217): Zend_Mail_Protocol_Smtp_Auth_Login->auth()
    #2 /home/admin/public_html/library/Zend/Mail/Transport/Smtp.php(200): Zend_Mail_Protocol_Smtp->helo('localhost')
    #3 /home/admin/public_html/library/Zend/Mail/Transport/Abstract.php(348): Zend_Mail_Transport_Smtp->_sendMail()
    #4 /home/admin/public_html/library/Zend/Mail.php(1194): Zend_Mail_Transport_Abstract->send(Object(Zend_Mail))
    #5 /home/admin/public_html/library/XenForo/Model/MailQueue.php(62): Zend_Mail->send(Object(Zend_Mail_Transport_Smtp))
    #6 /home/admin/public_html/library/XenForo/Deferred/MailQueue.php(10): XenForo_Model_MailQueue->runMailQueue(9.99999690056)
    #7 /home/admin/public_html/library/XenForo/Model/Deferred.php(198): XenForo_Deferred_MailQueue->execute(Array, Array, 9.99999690056, '')
    #8 /home/admin/public_html/library/XenForo/Model/Deferred.php(321): XenForo_Model_Deferred->runDeferred(Array, 9.99999690056, '', false)
    #9 /home/admin/public_html/library/XenForo/Model/Deferred.php(274): XenForo_Model_Deferred->_runInternal(Array, NULL, '', false)
    #10 /home/admin/public_html/deferred.php(18): XenForo_Model_Deferred->run(false)
    #11 {main}
    Request State
    array(3) {
    ["url"] => string(41) "http://www.site.org/deferred.php"
    ["_GET"] => array(0) {
    }
    ["_POST"] => array(4) {
    ["_xfRequestUri"] => string(49) "/threads/starfall-discussion-thread.63750/page-14"
    ["_xfNoRedirect"] => string(1) "1"
    ["_xfToken"] => string(8) "********"
    ["_xfResponseType"] => string(4) "json"
    }
    }

2. Amaury

Amaury Well-Known Member

Try disabling your resources (if you have any) via config.php and see if the problem persists.

3. Live Free

Live Free Active Member

How do I do that? I don't see an option in the main config.php file.

4. Amaury

Amaury Well-Known Member

See if this helps.

5. Jeremy

Jeremy XenForo Moderator Staff Member

Are you using SMTP?

6. Mike

Mike XenForo Developer Staff Member

That just indicates that your SMTP connection info isn't right. Likely the username and password, though I would double check everything. If you're not sure, check with your SMTP provider.

7. Live Free

Live Free Active Member

I am using SMTP, and I've doubled checked the info and it's correct. I haven't had this error until recently, and I've also been receiving emails properly (PM notifications). I just sent a test PM and got an instant email alert.

8. Mike

Mike XenForo Developer Staff Member

If it's sporadic, that is likely indicative of an issue with the SMTP server itself. Not a lot you can do if you don't operate the SMTP server. (One of the reasons we generally recommend the standard PHP mail options over third-party SMTP servers.)

Live Free likes this.