Separate installs changing each others styles

Renada

Hi,

I've installed a test copy, fresh installation, to check different add-ons so that I can customise them. When I change a style on my test copy it changes it on the live copy too.

The test copy has a totally blank forum, nothing imported from the live copy, it's in a separate database and as far as I can see the only link is that they're both on the same server.

Any ideas please?

Regards,
Renada :)

When I change a style on my test copy it changes it on the live copy too.

What kind of change? A template change?

It certainly sounds like the two forums are sharing a database or something. Either that or the two forums are getting confused somehow (e.g. maybe you are accessing or viewing a different forum than you think).

What kind of change? A template change?

It certainly sounds like the two forums are sharing a database or something. Either that or the two forums are getting confused somehow (e.g. maybe you are accessing or viewing a different forum than you think).

I was viewing one forum in FireFox and the other in Internet Explorer. I couldn't confuse the forums because one is live and has data and the test one has only the main forum that's installed by default.

I added a style to which I wanted to make a few colour changes to make it easier to see but when changing from the default style to the new one it was also changing the live forum.

Could my host company have done anything that would confuse the databases like that as both forums are installed into separate databases?

I'm going to delete and reinstall the test forum and see if its still happening.

Thanks to both of you for your help :)

Regards,
Renada

Check the config.php files are pointing to different databases.

If they are then I don't see how your actions on the test installation can affect the live site.

Check the config.php files are pointing to different databases.

If they are then I don't see how your actions on the test installation can affect the live site.

Yep both pointing to the correct databases but as above, it appears to have righted itself *touch wood*.

Brogan, while I have you here, is there a way to do a XenForo to XenForo import? I want to import some of the old database but not all of it so I don't want to just dump the whole thing into the new one.

Regards,
Renada :)

Not at the moment.

You would need to export from XenForo to e.g. vB or IPB and then import back to XenForo.

Even then, partial import isn't possible, it's all or nothing.

Not at the moment.

You would need to export from XenForo to e.g. vB or IPB and then import back to XenForo.

Even then, partial import isn't possible, it's all or nothing.

Eeeek! :(

What would happen if I saved all the user tables as an sql and all the forums/messages tables as another and just imported those? Am I on a good hiding to nothing with that?

Top Bottom