1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Separate 'Automatically watch threads that you create or when you reply...'

Discussion in 'XenForo Suggestions' started by ChrisR, Sep 9, 2010.

1. ChrisR

ChrisR Active Member

I think there should be an option to Automatically watch threads that you create, maybe have the option in the same spot as the "Automatically watch threads when you reply..." in the Browsing Preferences
    Claudio, imthebest, Valhalla and 11 others like this.
  2. Lycaon

Lycaon Well-Known Member

Not for me but would be a good feature.
  3. Enigma

Enigma Well-Known Member

I just tested it, and the "automatically watch threads when you reply" option includes threads you create. I assume you want the option to automatically watch threads you create, but not additional threads you reply to?
  4. ChrisR

ChrisR Active Member

Yes i hate getting messages for every thread i reply in, but i do like getting messages telling me someone has replied to my threads.
    I just hate having to click the "Watch this thread..." on every topic i make.
  5. Kier

Kier XenForo Developer Staff Member

This is a really good idea. I should be able to implement this in a couple of minutes I think.
  6. Kim

Kim Well-Known Member

I like this too, never really liked that it was an "all or nothing" option, a little flexibility would be wonderful.
  7. ChrisR

ChrisR Active Member

Same i am over software that give you the "all or nothing" options
  8. Booth

Booth Well-Known Member

It would be great to get an alert when someone replies to a thread you have created. This kind of thing is great for none web/forum savvy newbies to keep up to date with what they've posted.
  9. OperaManiac

OperaManiac Well-Known Member

i have turned on watch feature and i get responses to all the threads i started as well!
  10. Waddy

Waddy Active Member

11. Darfuria

Darfuria Active Member

I notice this has been implemented, however it'd be nice if the options were split to only be notified of replies in threads you've created, or only threads you've responded to (or both). I'd like to be notified when a thread I created is responded to, but not when a new post is added to a thread I replied to.
    Digital Doctor likes this.
  12. DroidHost

DroidHost Well-Known Member

I think we need to Separate between
    The : Created Thread and Post
    So the user can chose to
    • Automatically watch threads
    • Automatically watch threads that he posted in ....
  13. Digital Doctor

Digital Doctor Well-Known Member

I was just about to post about this ... and found this thread through search.

from : http://xenforo.com/community/threads/suggestion-automatically-watch-threads-you-create.3480/

14. aasajjj

aasajjj Member

Do xenForo focus on the community what so ever?, I love xenForo and the dev's seem very passionate about it but they don't seem to be listing to people's suggestions.
  15. Jeremy

Jeremy XenForo Moderator Staff Member

XenForo is well known to implement suggestions and make changes based on feedback. There are several suggestions with more first post likes (more community support) that the developers may decide to focus on first. There were drastic changes in 1.2, a good bit based on user suggestions and feedback. You are making suggestions and hoping for changes during the Release Candidate phase, which isn't going to happen. Kier and Mike will evaluate suggestions for 1.3 and on.
    aasajjj likes this.
  16. imno007

imno007 Active Member

This is a great idea. This was a feature of the last forum platform I used (though it didn't use alerts for it, of course) and it's something I referenced almost daily. Would be nice to have it back. Since Kier said it was a great idea and could likely be implemented "in a couple of minutes", I can only guess that it just got overlooked.

P.S. The original suggestion thread referenced above is no longer to be found....
  17. sadiq6210

sadiq6210 Active Member

Five years :D

It is important to notify me if there is any new reply in "my" threads. But it can be an annoying to receive alerts for all posts in all threads that I have post inside.

Giving the user the option to Automatically watch threads that he created ONLY will be very useful.

Please have a look to this suggestion
    @Kier @Mike @Chris D
  18. Chris D

Chris D XenForo Developer Staff Member

We know the suggestion is here, there's nothing more to add right now.
  19. CyclingTribe

CyclingTribe Well-Known Member

I know this is not what this suggestion thread is about ... however if you are genuinely not interested in getting alerts about threads you've posted in, simply unwatch all threads, disable the alert in your user preferences and then when you create new threads just tick the box to watch them. That way you'll only get alerts about replies your threads. (y)