Add-on SEO addon

mmm. too little possibilities.

Not really. Most so-called "SEO" is snake-oil, even more so since the last couple years of google updates.

The only reason so-called SEO would work these days was if you or the writer honestly thought they knew more than the brain trust at google. I'd bet on goog.

Both of my sites have experienced a boom in search engine referrals since moving to XF. I am not crediting XF for that, but it's simply the common sense approach of understanding that you can't fool google...maybe in the past you could to some degree...for a short time. But not now and likely not in the future.

IMHO, anyway....

Not really. Most so-called "SEO" is snake-oil, even more so since the last couple years of google updates.

The only reason so-called SEO would work these days was if you or the writer honestly thought they knew more than the brain trust at google. I'd bet on goog.

Both of my sites have experienced a boom in search engine referrals since moving to XF. I am not crediting XF for that, but it's simply the common sense approach of understanding that you can't fool google...maybe in the past you could to some degree...for a short time. But not now and likely not in the future.

IMHO, anyway....

Thanks for you indepth reply. I will take this seriously and considering other options

There are various addons which improve your SEO, including search engine sitemap generator & thread tags.

I do have to admit. I wonder why XenForo doesn't have a sitemap feature built in? I believe even IPB does now. It might not be for everyone but the option under SEO options would be nice.

@craigiri There are more search engines then Google, if you look at the Meta Tags of some XF (like ours) some tags are not there, I know Google is not looking at the Keyword tags anymore but The Titel and Description tags stay important. Bing (and others) are still looking at Keyword Tags and uses the robots tag, so why is it so hard to at least have your Meta tags in order on top of you page? Ofcause we cannot know what Google knows but we can at least try to follow the general rules of SEO, this cannot hurt the site!

p.s. things like sitemaps, trust, webmastertools, stats, speed, socialmedia, e.d. are all fine and up and running but the homepage tags are a mess, just to make sure ... ;)

@craigiri There are more search engines then Google,

True enough.....in my case, goog is 85% of the search hits I get. The other 15% are the total of bing, yahoo, aol, comcast, etc.

IMHO, it doesn't pay to spend much time on the smaller search engines.

Google says a site map will not work against you. So for those who want to enter one, it's easy and inexpensive (or free) using an add-on.

As far as other SEO - as mentioned in the OP, I'd say that people need not worry about it. In fact, that can work against you.

Since the Snowden revelations a lot more people are opting for search engines which do not track private information. It does make sense to open up to other search engines.

Top Bottom