Sending lots of emails

Motobaka

I was about to send approximately 2,500 emails to the people under registered and with the option to receive mails.

What happens if I do that?

I don’t have a mail company or something. Just made an html template and got the mail ready to send.

Any suggestions on how to do it? Just send them through the regular XenForo mail?

You can use an email service, such as mailchimp or campaignmonitor. I'm using sendy.co

I'm a big time Sendy Fan. Check out this review of Sendy that I wrote a few months ago. Sendy sends mails through amazon SES; which you can configure with your xenForo installation.

I’m afraid I was too eager to send the campaign and just registered with ChimpMail. I guess I’ll stay with them for a while but will also check out Sendy.

Thanks for the advice.

I'm a big time Sendy Fan. Check out this review of Sendy that I wrote a few months ago. Sendy sends mails through amazon SES; which you can configure with your xenForo installation.

What do you mean you can configure it with xenforo? Have you found a quick way to update your sendy list with new member's emails?

Because if you don't manage bounce backs, allow people to easily unsubscribe and have a more robust way of tracking opt-ins then you can get blacklisted as a spammer.

What Chris said.

Plus with all these other services you can track open rates, click through rates, and the lot.

What do you mean you can configure it with xenforo? Have you found a quick way to update your sendy list with new member's emails?
Ah - I mean, configure Amazon SES with xenForo; so that the service handles all of xF's mail. I've voted for Sendy+XF integration plugin.

Yes it is important to handle bounces. I think with a few thousands there might be a dozen bounces which could be handled manually.

Amazon SES punishes bounces, I would clean up my email list before using Amazon SES the first time.

I think a bounce rate of about 1%-2% is okay. I had to send a mailer to about 60k+ of our members and a few hundred mails bounced. Amazon didn't mind.

Without handling bounces for years, I had a much higher bounce rate, a few thousand of mails bounced. But that all depends on communities, their age, and how admins solved bounced (I didn't do much about them).

I applied to Amazon SES, surprisingly they did not DKIM my messages. I am back on postfix now, it is very reliable and once it's setup (and automatic bounce management), there are not much reasons not to use it.

Top Bottom