Send Alerts When Editing a Message and Mentioning (Tagging) or Quoting a User

Per this, I think it would be nice if when someone edits their message to quote or tag another user, it still sends them an alert as if you had quoted or tagged them when submitting the initial message.

+1

The problem with editing a post and adding a quote or mention (especially) is, the user does not know it is not sending a notification. I myself expected this, and had to use a test account to see it did not. Would like to see this.

+1

The problem with editing a post and adding a quote or mention (especially) is, the user does not know it is not sending a notification. I myself expected this, and had to use a test account to see it did not. Would like to see this.

If you support the suggestion, you need to like the first post of the thread. That is how the developers gauge interest.

While there are potential (abuse) issues (like continous editing of content to spam alerts), I think it would really be nice if users could be alerted upon first appearance (mention, quote, etc.) in a content.

As a mitigation to prevent spam, a floodcheck for alerts could be introduced, eg. to block an edit if the user has generated > X alerts in timeframe Y.

The current behaviour ist not what users would expect and we are getting support questions due to this ervery now and then.

Last edited by a moderator:
We just manually brought over a ton of content (over 400 posts) from an old forum without an importer.

WISH I had known about this at the time. Would REALLY like to tag several people to give them a heads up on this content, and I thought I had discovered something brilliant with the tag.

All of these posts were backdated with an AndyB addon, and it was a ton of work, so I'm not going to do it again. Would love to see this feature enabled.

I tried adding tags to another post I brought over from the old forum. This time I tagged a few member at the initial posting.

Still have not gotten a notification (tagged myself in a couple places too).

Do you get notified if you tag yourself?

Or does it take a while to get notified?

Or does BACKDATING a post prevent the tag from working?

Post was old content from our previous nabble forum, no migration software exists. Essentially a new post as far as XF is concerned.

While I would also like the feature you are asking for, the way it is now does have some value.

It allows others to see who you are referring to.

I sometimes forget to do the tagging the first time out and am left with the choice of deleting the post and starting over or leaving it as is.

Exactly, the mention still shows in the post, and the link works, the only issue is the mentioned don’t get an alert.

There are also other mention issues ... like you you could put in 10 mentions but only 5 will get them. No warning of unsent mentions.

the mention still shows in the post, and the link works
These are seldomly used.

If anything this just adds to the confusion as the whole goal .. COMMUNICATION .. is worsened as others who see the thread will think that the mention went through.

Top Bottom