1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Implement group mentioning (tagging)

Discussion in 'XenForo Suggestions' started by Martok, Jun 4, 2013.

1. Martok

Martok Well-Known Member

This is currently possible using the Tag Me add-on and it is useful to be able to alert a group of people, for example premium users, moderator group, a team on a gaming forum etc.

In Tag Me there are permissions to specify who can use the group tagging, meaning this can be limited to certain members and prevent mass annoying alerts.

Would be great to see it in the core.
  2. tafreehm

tafreehm Well-Known Member

yes! this would be very useful.
  3. Khaleal

Khaleal Active Member

I think that this is OK only for admins and moderators. If it was allowed to members they'll misuse it notifying a very big group of people which sounds like SPAM. Simply a spammer can post and notify the biggest group he can notify.
    If it was implementer the options in the admin control panel should be chosen carefully.
    QenTox and tafreehm like this.
  4. Martok

Martok Well-Known Member

Group tagging in the Tag Me add-on is a permission that lets you grant it to whichever groups you want to use it. I agree it could be used to spam alerts out which is why I've restricted its use to moderators only. I've also only allowed certain groups to be tagged (it's another option in Tag Me that lets you pick the groups that can be tagged) so even if I was to let some members who weren't mods use it, they couldn't tag the moderator group as I've not set this group as taggable.
    Steve F and QenTox like this.
  5. QenTox

QenTox Well-Known Member

I like this suggestion! You have a like from me ;)
  6. Martok

Martok Well-Known Member

7. QenTox

QenTox Well-Known Member

Liked all 3 suggestions as tagging is one of the best things in XenForo and I love it :)
  8. Moshe1010

Moshe1010 Well-Known Member

Agree. Would like to see this one.
  9. WoodiE

WoodiE Well-Known Member

Throwing my hat into this suggestion. Would also like to see this added.
  10. majesty95

majesty95 Active Member

So, if I understand this right, does this add on allow you to define a group (say moderators) and tag the entire group with a certain goup name (ie @moderators)? If so, can you customize the group? Fox instance, if I wanted to call the moderators group "Mods" for tagging purposes only could I do that?
  11. Martok

Martok Well-Known Member

This isn't an add-on, it's a suggestion for adding group tagging to the core software.
    majesty95 likes this.
  12. Brogan

Brogan XenForo Moderator Staff Member

Strictly speaking, it would now be group mentioning ;)
    Martok likes this.
  13. arsenik

arsenik Member

14. Martok

Martok Well-Known Member

arsenik likes this.
  15. Martok

Martok Well-Known Member

If you wouldn't mind editing the title, seeing as I can't... :)
  16. Brogan

Brogan XenForo Moderator Staff Member

Done :)

I left tagging in the title to aid with searching, for those who still use that term.
    arsenik and Martok like this.
  17. Martok

Martok Well-Known Member

Thank you. :)