1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Send Alerts When Editing a Message and Mentioning (Tagging) or Quoting a User

Discussion in 'XenForo Suggestions' started by Amaury, Nov 4, 2013.

1. Amaury

Amaury Well-Known Member

Per this, I think it would be nice if when someone edits their message to quote or tag another user, it still sends them an alert as if you had quoted or tagged them when submitting the initial message.

Jeremy P, Xon, Alfa1 and 9 others like this.
  2. The Forum Heroes

The Forum Heroes Well-Known Member

Sorry, disagree, I like it as is. I could see it getting spammy and giving people the ability to harass someone. I could see members sitting there for hours editing posts with removing then re-adding someone over and over just to flood their alerts. You can simply make a new post @so-and-so what do you think? just as easily.

3. DeltaHF

DeltaHF Well-Known Member

I agree with @Amaury; the current behavior is inconsistent, and it remains one of the most frequent sources of confusion among my community members. Several people each month report their "tag notifications aren't working" when it's a case of someone having tagged them in an edit.

Of course, the person doing the tagging is not to blame - they think tagging someone will always send them an alert, yet there is nothing to indicate this will not work as expected if they add the tag via edit, making them think the person has ignored their tag. It's not a good experience for anyone, and far worse than the potential for extremely minor abuse (which can easily be confirmed by a moderator through edit history).

This should be possible by scanning the edit history for a post. In pseudocode:
    Code:
    if(user has been mentioned in previous version of the post)
    {
      do not send alert
    }
    else
    {
      send alert
    }

Alfa1 and eberkund like this.
  4. Jeremy

Jeremy XenForo Moderator Staff Member

Edit history is unreliable, it is pruned based on your settings.

5. DeltaHF

True, but really, you wouldn't even need to check the full edit history - just compare the post before and after the edit to see if any new tags have been included.

6. Gene

Gene Member

I'm very much in support of at least having this option. "My tags aren't working" is by far the most frequent complaint amongst our users.

Xon likes this.
  7. DeltaHF

Yep, same here. There's still a steady stream of users who think the functionality is broken on my site as well.

Xon likes this.