Send Alerts When Editing a Message and Mentioning (Tagging) or Quoting a User

Sorry, disagree, I like it as is. I could see it getting spammy and giving people the ability to harass someone. I could see members sitting there for hours editing posts with removing then re-adding someone over and over just to flood their alerts. You can simply make a new post @so-and-so what do you think? just as easily.

I agree with @Amaury; the current behavior is inconsistent, and it remains one of the most frequent sources of confusion among my community members. Several people each month report their "tag notifications aren't working" when it's a case of someone having tagged them in an edit.

Of course, the person doing the tagging is not to blame - they think tagging someone will always send them an alert, yet there is nothing to indicate this will not work as expected if they add the tag via edit, making them think the person has ignored their tag. It's not a good experience for anyone, and far worse than the potential for extremely minor abuse (which can easily be confirmed by a moderator through edit history).

Its as designed. There is no reliable way to track whether user X was alerted for the post previously or if the tag for User X is new. This works identical to how quotes alert if you edit them in.
This should be possible by scanning the edit history for a post. In pseudocode:
Code:
if(user has been mentioned in previous version of the post)
{
  do not send alert
}
else
{
  send alert
}

True, but really, you wouldn't even need to check the full edit history - just compare the post before and after the edit to see if any new tags have been included.

Hello,

when is this going to get implemented? I cant wait

its actually causing a lot of problems because many people get banned due to double posting, and they double post just to tag other people.

@Mike Edge its actually not going to get spammy. I have tested tagging someone then deleting my post and he lost his alert (need confirmation), and so it can work in the same way that if someone untagged the notification is lost.

also any update on this? is it going to change? its been 4 years already?

Over two years later, and it's still an issue on my site.

I, myself, frequently miss important "tags" because users assume that I will be notified if they tag me in an edit.

Over two years later, and it's still an issue on my site.

I, myself, frequently miss important "tags" because users assume that I will be notified if they tag me in an edit.

Yes, same problem here for many years now. I even have a macro for it, so that I can explain why a quote/tag didn't render in a notification without much hassle, but the fact that I have to is of course a bit of a hassle :)

People simply expect tags/pings to follow through, even if they are added by an edit.

Last edited:
Sorry, disagree, I like it as is. I could see it getting spammy and giving people the ability to harass someone. I could see members sitting there for hours editing posts with removing then re-adding someone over and over just to flood their alerts. You can simply make a new post @so-and-so what do you think? just as easily.

Then it should be an option. If you don't want it, then you needn't have it -if you do want it then you can. That's maybe the way it should be.

I don't see the fact that it can be misused as an issue what so ever. Any function in XF can be misused (replies, PM:s etc.). That's why we have moderators.
pretty much on point. in fact sometimes alerts are removed by themselves anyway (when deleting the whole post I think i wouldnt see the alert anyway).

so this would prolly be the same thing.

anyway, who is going to give us an official answer so we can move forward? who is responsible for this?

Concerning the feature suggestion: I wondered a couple of times (since using the software over here) if adding an username tag (or quote) by editing a post would generate an alert. I did not give it a second thought, because I more or less assumed it would work the same as when posting a post the first time. Thanks to this valuable suggestion I understand that was a wrong assumption.
If I (as an admin/seasoned forum user) already make this incorrect assumption, I can image my forum members will do the same.

It does not make that much sense indeed that a tag or quote - alert apparently only works on initial posting and not after editing. It should always work, because you want to add (when editing) an username tag (or quote) for a reason: indeed to send them an alert to notify the tagged user(s) of your post.

the current behavior is inconsistent...[etc]

Agree with all you have said in that posting.

And I just went to Facebook to test this functionality over there. And on Facebook it does work as you would expect: when you edit an already posted post and put a name tag in, it still does send an alert to that tagged user indeed. Understandably this is then what people are used to and come to expect.

Last edited:
Another option might be that you block this menu
87FC170C-8558-4D57-BA6A-B07C11368D2C.webp
From appearing when editing a post. To emphasize alerts don’t get sent when editing.

Another option is to alert the editor with an alert message that states their @ alert won’t be sent.

Prevent the edit from saving until the alert is removed.

Better yet, just send the alert.

Top Bottom