XF 1.0 Semantic HTML

From the outset, XenForo has been built with semantic HTML in mind in order to facilitate styling, boost SEO and give a helping hand to screen reading software.

The W3C provides a useful Semantic data extraction tool that allows the efficacy of this approach to be tested.

Take a look at how easily the tool extracts the important content from an example thread here on XenForo.com:

Semantic Data Extraction for 'Multi-page Navigation Enhancement' thread

generic-metadata-png.220

citations-and-quotes-png.221

Attachments

• Generic metadata.webp
    Generic metadata.webp
    22.6 KB · Views: 14,776
  • Citations and quotes.webp
    Citations and quotes.webp
    42.8 KB · Views: 14,294
If you know what you're doing, you already know what you're doing. It doesn't matter if it is:

<header> or <div id="header">

You know it's a header block.

Easier reading of code is NOT semantic HTML, or what it is about. There's nothing to disagree with me on in regards tot his, because it's not an opinion, it's fact.

If you know what you're doing, you already know what you're doing. It doesn't matter if it is:

<header> or <div id="header">

You know it's a header block.

Easier reading of code is NOT semantic HTML, or what it is about. There's nothing to disagree with me on in regards tot his, because it's not an opinion, it's fact.

To me,
Code:
<abbr class="dtstart" title="20070125T2000Z">January 25th 8pm</abbr>

means a lot more than

January 25th 8pm.

But that's the point of semantics. I'm not disagreeing with you though.

He's frustrated that apparently (I say apparently because I don't know enough about Semantic HTML to make a qualified decision) you don't get the true reason/advantages of Semantic HTML. :)
I think we need to "agree to disagree" have a step back, and maybe, revisit this later, or not at all.

Let's go with NOT at all ..

You obviously don't get what Semantic HTML means, and you're trying to disagree on what are facts.

Trust me, bear Berners-Lee quirky presentation style and see how a "semantic web" can revolutionize our notions of the internet.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Even though he is talking about "linked data" on a macro level, on a micro-scale, "semantic" HTML can make the content on your community re-usable, malleable, and mash-able (CMS ? ) using the advantages of (X)HTML as a semantic mark-up language.

Look at most of the new HTML5 tags if you want to see what symantic HTML is all about. It's about telling the browser/user/reader which parts of the page are content and which parts are navigation, user profile info, sidebar, etc.

Two years ago, we worried about Google indexing duplicate content from page-to-page. (t=49213, p=95382 taking you to the same page).

Today, we worry about Google indexing duplicate content within the page (navbar, user profile fields, header, footer, breadcrumb, user signatures, etc.).

It's not enough to do a Google sitemap and avoid duplicate content. Now we map out each page to help Google rank content.

Semantic HTML meaning: Semantic HTML is the use of HTML markup to reinforce the semantics, or meaning, of the information in webpages rather than merely to define its presentation (look).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Semantic_HTML

Semantically correct HTML in essence is about using the correct tag for the correct job, correctly nested, correctly identified throughout, so the reader can completely understand the structure, etc etc...

It is semantically incorrect to be using font tags in xhtml, or using italic tags vs. the semantically correct emphasis tag.

The semantically correct code for HTML5 will be the use of the header, footer, nav, etc tags, not div with an id, even though both could be argued as semantically correct for backwards compatibility.

The semantically correct code for HTML5 will be the use of the header, footer, nav, etc tags, not div with an id, even though both could be argued as semantically correct for backwards compatibility.
Absolutely right - although you will find that XenForo uses conventions such as
HTML:
<header>
	<div id="header">
	</div>
</header>
as a certain ghastly browser is still unable to apply styling to HTML5-specific tags, even in version 8 :(

Top Bottom