Seeking Alternative mod to CTA Threads & XenPorta

Status
Not open for further replies.

OverHere

Is there a good alternative to the following 2 mods:

http://xenforo.com/community/resources/cta-featured-threads-portal.2599/

http://xenforo.com/community/resources/8wayrun-com-xenporta-portal.90/history

Unfortunately, despite purchasing this mod, the first mod's author doesn't find it acceptable for a customer to get a developer to install, customise and upgrade this mod - someone like me who has no required technical skills to deal with such a mod would obviously use a developer as it can not be done in any other way - and obviously a developer can only install or upgrade a mod if the mod file is passed on to the developer.

And the second mod seems too heavy.

Any good alternatives would be appreciated.

In Brogan's defense, that's not really within the normal scope of supporting an addon. If that's your only objection to using it you should check out the third party service offers here. I'm sure there is someone willing to help you for compensation.

That said, ExtraPortal is the only other one I know of.

In Brogan's defense, that's not really within the normal scope of supporting an addon. If that's your only objection to using it you should check out the third party service offers here. I'm sure there is someone willing to help you for compensation.

That said, ExtraPortal is the only other one I know of.

What you say is logical, but what I simply mean is that Brogan shouldn't object to any webmaster who is not a techy when that webmaster uses a developer to install and customise Brogan's mods - this is not normal, not every webmaster can install and customise mods...

Brogan is paranoid that any developer being used by Brogan's customer will steal his mod!

What you say is logical, but what I simply mean is that Brogan shouldn't object to any webmaster who is not a techy when that webmaster uses a developer to install and customise Brogan's mods - this is not normal, not every webmaster can install and customise mods...

Brogan is paranoid that any developer being used by Brogan's customer will steal his mod!

And Brogan has just deleted a post I made which was critical of him - not a good business practice!

that Brogan shouldn't object to any webmaster who is not a techy when that webmaster uses a developer to install and customise Brogan's mods
Why not? He's within his rights to do so - being the mod developer. You're essentially talking about handing over a copy of the addon to someone who hasn't purchased a licence. Since Brogan does not know who that is, he cannot know for certain that the addon will then used by that developer. As for customsing.. once it's installed, you can give whoever you want to customise it access to your ACP/Styles to do so without them needing a copy of the actual addon itself.

Let's be clear on the actual situation.

You handed over the account you created on my support site, and the add-on to this "developer", without permission and completely unbeknownst to me.

The add-on was sold to you and you alone, not some random "developer" you use to do work for you on your site.

When I queried it, you reacted as if I was the one at fault and were completely unrepentant.

I strictly control who I sell the add-on to and therefore by extension, who has access to the files, as I do not want the add-on being made available on pirate sites.
When people like you give the files to people I have not personally authorised, that completely undermines my anti-piracy controls.

There are alternatives to the addons mentioned, yes. But you will not able to install them/customize them more easily than the ones you mentioned.

@OverHere. Your attitude about this entire situation really leaves something to be desired. I know that @RoldanLT does some work for you and has done with my Gallery. I hope, however, you didn't give the files to him or anyone else otherwise I would react in the same way.

(Just to be clear, in any case I do not believe RoldanLT to be any sort of "risk" and he has since become an XMG customer himself, but I'm talking about the general principle here).

If you purchase any add-on, unless it is explicitly open source or covered by some other license that makes it ok to redistribute it, you must not give the files to anyone whether it be your developer or anyone without the explicit permission granted FIRST. I can't speak for Paul, but perhaps if you had seeked permission first, this situation could have been avoided.

I also find it absolutely sickening that you dare even tarnish the reputation of a talented developer here by leaving a 1 star review calling him out on "Poor support". Just because you can't get your own way, doesn't mean that you have received poor support. I would urge you to reconsider that review because it is unfair.

I agree with the above regarding passing on paid add-ons to 'developers' without explicit permission from the authors. It is completely unacceptable and tantamount to piracy as you have no idea what happens to them after that.

As for bad-mouthing a developer in several posts and ratings across the forums because you're disgruntled , that's just poor form. I'm glad that the post you are referring to was deleted. You have no proof that Brogan did this as there are several moderators but for the record I reported it and requested its removal as it was inappropriate for it to be in that add-on's discussion thread.

With any mod you should install it yourself and then let a developer customise the style etc. If you can't manage to install add-ons yourself then frankly you shouldn't be running a forum.

@OverHere. Your attitude about this entire situation really leaves something to be desired. I know that @RoldanLT does some work for you and has done with my Gallery. I hope, however, you didn't give the files to him or anyone else otherwise I would react in the same way.

(Just to be clear, in any case I do not believe RoldanLT to be any sort of "risk" and he has since become an XMG customer himself, but I'm talking about the general principle here).

If you purchase any add-on, unless it is explicitly open source or covered by some other license that makes it ok to redistribute it, you must not give the files to anyone whether it be your developer or anyone without the explicit permission granted FIRST. I can't speak for Paul, but perhaps if you had seeked permission first, this situation could have been avoided.

I also find it absolutely sickening that you dare even tarnish the reputation of a talented developer here by leaving a 1 star review calling him out on "Poor support". Just because you can't get your own way, doesn't mean that you have received poor support. I would urge you to reconsider that review because it is unfair.

I think you have just verified that RoldanLT would not have in any way stolen Brogan's mod - I did tell Brogan who my developer was and I was honest enough and told Brogan that RoldanLT would enter my support account for his mod and seek support this way to save us all time... unfortunately, Brogan's reaction was not one of appreciating my honesty but one which would leave a non-techy webmaster abandoned with a mod fully paid for...

If I had chosen a developer who was not known in any way or wasn't a well-known member here then yes Brogan would have a point... unfortunately it is not morally correct for Brogan to expect a non-techy webmaster to simply purchase a mod and not have someone to install it and customise it...

Therefore, the review will remain...

In relation to your Gallery mod (or any other mod for that matter), you and other mod authors fully agreed to provide support to my developer whereas Brogan refused to provide support to my developer straight away...

Also, in my view, Brogan is incorrect in assuming and telling me that any one non-techy can install and customise his mods...

I agree with the above regarding passing on paid add-ons to 'developers' without explicit permission from the authors. It is completely unacceptable and tantamount to piracy as you have no idea what happens to them after that.

As for bad-mouthing a developer in several posts and ratings across the forums because you're disgruntled , that's just poor form. I'm glad that the post you are referring to was deleted. You have no proof that Brogan did this as there are several moderators but for the record I reported it and requested its removal as it was inappropriate for it to be in that add-on's discussion thread.

With any mod you should install it yourself and then let a developer customise the style etc. If you can't manage to install add-ons yourself then frankly you shouldn't be running a forum.

And a developer can not steal a mod while customising?

Also, the deleted post should have been redirtected to the correct forum, and not deleted. Criticism is healthy.

Opz, just read this thread after Chris D tag me.
Yes, I'm working on Overhere's forum.
Installing, Configuring, Sorting stuff.
I have most access on his forum cpanel, ftp, forum admin, forum emails, etc.

Chris D even know about this already before I purchased a license for XMG.
Overhere has a lot of Paid addons, 20+ I think, some of it are already abandoned.

But seriously there's no way I will steal some of his addon, and use it on my own, or even pirate it.

@OverHere In my view, Brogan is perfectly justifiable and you are incorrect in assuming that he needs to support someone that hasn't purchased his add-on directly. Upon purchase, the agreement is that he will offer support to the purchaser, not a third party developer who doesn't hold a licence to use it.

@OverHere In my view, Brogan is perfectly justifiable and you are incorrect in assuming that Paul needs to support someone that hasn't purchased his add-on directly. Upon purchase, the agreement is that he will offer support to the purchaser, not a third party developer who doesn't hold a licence to use it.
That 'someone' was working for me, not for any 3rd party

You're one of a kind, OverHere. Hundreds, maybe thousands of people who are "non-techy" don't need a "developer" to install and customise stuff. Maybe you should put some effort into learning how to yourself.

I think determined developer would be able to steal any mod file if they wanted to via customisation, even I know this...
That sentence doesn't actually make sense so...

You're one of a kind, OverHere. Hundreds, maybe thousands of people who are "non-techy" don't need a "developer" to install and customise stuff. Maybe you should put some effort into learning how to yourself.

That sentence doesn't actually make sense so...

I mean isn't a mod stealable via cPanel etc.?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom