As designed "Search titles only" without keyword not displaying threads only

ivp

Affected version
In basic or advanced search:
  • Leave keyword search field empty
  • Check "Search titles only"
  • Put some username in "By" field
Search should display all threads started by member.

Instead it displays all posts by member.

“Search titles only” doesn’t do anything in this context because you’re not searching for any words.

If you choose to group the results by thread then you will be seeing threads which that member has participated in.

To find threads started by a member you can do that from their profile.

I am aware it doesn't do anything now, but it could do if you accept my suggestion.

Finding threads started by a member is daunting task:
  1. Click Search
  2. Enter member's username
  3. Click Search
  4. Click member's icon to visit his profile
  5. Click Find
  6. Click Find all threads
Beside that, it is not possible to do any kind of advanced search with it. It will just display all possible threads, i.e. cannot limit them by forum, date, order, etc.

Also grouping results by thread is not the same thing as finding threads started by a member.

Right. But it is working as designed at the moment so if you have suggestions for change they should be made in the suggestions forum, not the bug reports forum.

But if I check "Search titles only" and it doesn't search titles only (i.e. display threads only), isn't that a bug?

In your original example, you are not searching for any keywords therefore "Search titles only" shouldn't have any effect. You can't search for words that appear in titles if you don't enter any words...

Top Bottom