Future fix Search threads started by this member only does not work

AndyB

If I try to search by "Search threads started by this member only" selected, the results are always "No results found".

See thumbnail of search criteria to duplicate this bug.

If I uncheck the the "Search threads started by this member only", I get two results with both threads being started by Xenforo.

Attachments

• pic001.webp
    pic001.webp
    28.9 KB · Views: 131
I received the same result, but when I use different keywords I can search as normal.

Try this:

Keywords: search

Then posted by XenForo, results by that user only.

Does it process OK for you?

Hi James,

I get the same result as you searching for just one word (it works). It appears searching with quotes on multiple words is the bug.

Hi James,

I get the same result as you searching for just one word (it works). It appears searching with quotes on multiple words is the bug.
Nope, I just did a search for "enhanced search" by XenForo, results by user only and it returned results.
Still digging.

Someone will need to confirm this but I think the bug is that when you tick "Search threads started by this member only" it also only searches titles only.

To reproduce:
Keywords: "xenforo add-on" (seen here, line 4)
Posted by: XenForo
Search threads started by this member only.
---

If you replace the above keywords with just add-on, it will only return one thread and that has add-on in its title, hence adding to my theory.

Good troubleshooting, James.

Looks like you will always get (No results found) if you search by:

1) Multiple words
2) Posted by Member
3) Search threads started by this member only

It's not that you will get no results found, it'll just only search thread titles. It will still return results as long as the keywords are in the thread title (which shouldn't be the case as it should search thread content too).

Thank you for the clarification. I just assumed you can only search for thread title or post content but not both.

In general, there are a couple things that are misleading with this, somewhat based on the wording of the checkbox. What James says is effectively right - it's only searching titles. Well actually, it's only searching the thread itself, which doesn't include the post content within, just the thread title.

This isn't ES related; it's the general feature. Changing this would require indexing things differently (or at least changing the wording of that option). I don't think the option is that useful as is, so moving to handle for the future.

There's still a future fix here, but the option has been hidden in 1.3 since it completely didn't do what was expected based on the wording.

Hi Mike,

The change you made by hiding the "Search threads started by this member only" check box is just as bad. Here's an example.

pic001.webp

This search will not find the post above (post #13) where Amaury posted the word "problems".

Apparently if you use the Posted by Member field, it will only find posts that the member started.

Hi Mike,

The change you made by hiding the "Search threads started by this member only" check box is just as bad. Here's an example.

View attachment 65470

This search will not find the post above (post #13) where Amaury posted the word "problems".

Apparently if you use the Posted by Member field, it will only find posts that the member started.

Strange. It worked for me:

Problems.webp

I stand corrected. It's easy to get confused when troubleshooting.

So the temporary solution that Mike came up with is not too bad. We don't have the option to "Search threads started by this member only" at this time, but that isn't such a bad thing.

The point is it never actually worked correctly. It was actually no different than simply searching titles only.

The point is it never actually worked correctly. It was actually no different than simply searching titles only.

Correct.

What my add-on does is change the behavior so it searches post content instead, which made sense and is useful.

I know that ideally it would search titles and post content where the thread was started by the user(s).

Top Bottom