XF 1.5 Search not finding style elements?

limboclub

What am I missing here?

Search for the string navControls yields no results yet it is clearly in the system somewhere.

navcontrol.webp

searching-for-style-elements.webp

It searches for templates, but not within templates.
OK.

Here's a scenario I am running into every day.

1. Find a style element you want to change. Inspect the element in the browser to find the class(es).

2. Look through style properties, find the element is not handled by style properties.

3. Edit the CSS directly after searching templates.

4. Find the CSS that I hacked into the CSS file is actually clobbered in the bowels of style properties, in an odd place or with a name that doesn't match up with the expected location of the styling. A place that can't be discovered by just searching for the style class.

5. Refuse to accept that this system actually works like this.

5. Punch my desk and shout about this ****ty styling system.

6. Promise that if only this is the last time I run into this problem, I will eat all of my greens at dinner every night.

7. Sink into my chair slowly, not caring about the world.

8. Accept that this is my fate for the rest of my days.

Are you using the template search itself (not the general ACP search)? That searches the template contents.

If you're searching for CSS selectors, then there shouldn't be any issues. Style properties are only used within specific selectors. The template will then show you the style property in use (and potentially even allow you to edit the style property inline).

I'm finding the mash of add-ons, CSS files, and Xf's style properties coupled with the auto-generation of style sheets to be a minefield.

It will be resolved but it is a bit of a nightmare to navigate, specially if someone, somewhere, messed it up. Then you have to trace it and fix the problem for whoever stuffed it up - Xf, add-on developer etc. Specially if a class isn't in the style properties, then you have to take a stab at getting it in the right style sheet. Sticking "!important" on an EXTRA.css element to blow away styling you cannot find is a rickety, dangerous way to do it but sometimes its the only way without spending hours tracking it down.

Back
Top Bottom