Science Fiction News

Looks awesome! Great choice in theme...

Actually it is not. Theme house is single handedly associating boring with XF. There is no originality at all. Every site looks the same, so how can you state that it looks great? What are you comparing it to, another site that uses the same theme?

Actually it is not. Theme house is single handedly associating boring with XF. There is no originality at all. Every site looks the same, so how can you state that it looks great? What are you comparing it to, another site that uses the same theme?

First of all, he's using a PixelExit theme. Second, it's subjective. If I like the theme, why would I not say that it looks great? I like what he's done with the theme and the site- it's fun to look at without being overwhelming and the theme cohesively organizes his site into usable, attractive sections. It's about the customization on the base, and the content that make a site stand out.

Pre-fab themes are just that. Pre-fab. You say that every site looks the same, but every site has an option to customize whether on their own or through a designer. Many site owners aren't willing to invest money into creating a completely custom theme, and they may not know how to customize it themselves (or may not care to) which is how you might be seeing many similar sites. Again, subjective, but I think ThemeHouse does a great job of offering a range of XF base options.

I did originally use Core by Themehouse, but there were a few addons that didn't play nice with it; there were solutions for some, but it was swinging towards too much effort. There were also areas that were difficult to customize with it being a light skin that I wanted to make dark. It was doable but would have taken a lot of time. This is why I switched over to PixelEdit Flatawesome+ Dark.

Having said that, Themehouse (Audentio) do some remarkable themes and with some very innovative features. The face of any site is determined by how willing someone is to customize it and how capable they are; I'm a web designer by trade and dabble in graphic design, so that helps tremendously; though I do have to seek help when I get stuck and knowing the right questions to ask and the right way to ask them helps too.

Right now I'm adding extra features to the site, the graphical side and layout is pretty much how I envisioned it, but like any monster it can take on a life of it's own and become demanding lol.

Thanks to everyone who commented on the site and for helping me to move it forward; it's greatly appreciated. There are people starting to join up and post, which is great.

;)

Just a quick update to mention that there have been some changes to the site of late. Namely:

I've removed two forums - the Featured TV Series and Other Interests forums. The latter has been merged with the Your World forum and the former has been replace with @Bob AMS and will be used for Featured TV series, Featured Movies and other articles that may prove interesting.

Points for the trophy feature have been replaced with @DragonByte Tech Credits and the inbuilt trophy system is now being used in conjunction with the title ladder for ranks. The new credits system is named Latinum and it's earned by members for various and numerous means of contributions to the site. This will be used at a later date for something rewarding.

I've also added @Snog Movie Starter add-on and this is now being used to highlight and discuss your favourite SF&F Movies. Also added is Post Ratings by @Luke F which is a lot of fun to use and helps members to make a statement. @XFA Extended Cover has also been added and I'll be making good use of this throughout the site; already being used in @Bob AMS Articles.

There have been numerous small tweaks here and there on the site, including a new set of smilies and some CSS tweaks when something has come to light.

It's been fun building this site and seeing others enjoying the content - it's the most rewarding site I've engaged in so far.

Thanks to everyone who has commented and a huge thanks again to the add-on authors for their contribution and support.

:)

Top Bottom