XF 1.1 Scattered users having Java? issues

Rayven

Greetings,

On our forum in the last couple days, we have had a run of seemingly random users having trouble with the site. They have tried multiple browsers, clearing caches, even different OSs altogether.

The symptoms are the rich text box isn't loading, the shoutbox (We have the Taiga one) isn't displaying and alerts are not popping up. The only thing they seem to be able to do is post to my profile. As a workaround, I've been disabling the Rich Text editor for them so they can at least post. I've had them check across multiple browsers as well as doing version checks on their Java installation.

Our main admin rebuilt the caches on our side and did the file integrity checking. The only thing I'm seeing in the Server error logs are a couple entries about Steam profile integration. The user who just reported a problem doesn't have an account linked to Steam to begin with.

I keep thinking this could be some sort of Java update problem, but I don't see that any new updates came down the pipeline in the timeframe where the users are having issues. I continue to be unable to find any commonality between these users other than being members of our site.

I'd appreciate any insight any of you have to offer.

Can you provide a URL to your site?

I intend to have a look around it with the developer tools in Chrome and see if I can replicate the problem and check if any javascript errors are logged.

This might lead us to what is causing the problem.

There's lots of console errors:

xenforo.js:236​
Uncaught SyntaxError: Unexpected end of input

taigachat.js:21​
Uncaught TypeError: Cannot set property 'setMenuPosition' of undefined

http://skyrimforums.org/:71​
Uncaught TypeError: Object function (a,b){return new d.fn.init(a,b,g)} has no method 'getCookie'

http://skyrimforums.org/js/8wayrun/EWRporta_right.png​
Failed to load resource: the server responded with a status of 404 (Not Found)

The problem seems to be your xenforo.js file:

http://skyrimforums.gamingbay2.netdna-cdn.com/js/xenforo/xenforo.js?_v=9c4e0d64

Compare that to mine:

Mine is considerably bigger and yours cuts off quite early on. This is most likely the cause.

Looks like the copy at your CDN is corrupt.

Ok, we've cleared the cache at CDN and it's supposed to pull the local copy now. If you have the time, can you give our site another look and see if the xenforo.js looks more appropriate for you?

Looks perfect.

Your Xenforo.js is identical to the standard one.

Also there's certainly not as many errors in the console as there were before.

Is everything working now?

The first thing I did when I got to your site, was clicked the Sign Up Now button - clicking that yesterday took me to the login page because the javascript wasn't working properly. Now it behaves properly.

I'm trying to pin down all the users who had the problem. I've got one who says nothing has changed but I'm having him make sure his own browser cache is cleared and he's got a clean reload before I make any assumptions.

I'm trying to pin down all the users who had the problem. I've got one who says nothing has changed but I'm having him make sure his own browser cache is cleared and he's got a clean reload before I make any assumptions.
Yes, based on the problem I'd definitely say caching would be a big issue here.

So far I've got one confirmed user who got the cache cleared and everything is back to normal. I just wanted to say thank you again for helping walk me through this. You've been extremely helpful.

Top Bottom